• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pop out windows?

xjfanatc

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to think of a way to make my rear side window (cargo area) or my hatch glass pop-out/orroll down. Has anyone done this or something like it before? Any ideas or comments would be great. I have thought about trying to find some brackets at a junk yard and having the glass replaced with plexiglass. I have also thought about trying to make the rear hatch glass roll down somehow. I thought it would really help with airflow through the xj and it would look pretty cool as well. TIA

xjfanatc said:
I have been trying to think of a way to make my rear side window (cargo area) or my hatch glass pop-out/orroll down. Has anyone done this or something like it before? Any ideas or comments would be great. I have thought about trying to find some brackets at a junk yard and having the glass replaced with plexiglass. I have also thought about trying to make the rear hatch glass roll down somehow. I thought it would really help with airflow through the xj and it would look pretty cool as well. TIA

Simple....take both back windows out and replace them with lexan. But before you install them simply use a rivot gun and rivot on some buttons to the window frame and the other half of the button to the lexan. You now have a pop out window. :D

I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BUT I WONDERED ABVOUT THE ACVTUAL SEAL AROUND THE WINDOW. tHIS WILL BE DONE ON MY DD AND I DONT WANT ANY LEAKS.

xjfanatc said:
I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BUT I WONDERED ABVOUT THE ACVTUAL SEAL AROUND THE WINDOW. tHIS WILL BE DONE ON MY DD AND I DONT WANT ANY LEAKS.

I don't know, maybe some weather stripping in between the buttons would work. I don't think there is any way to do what your wanting to do without any leaks. Good luck!

It'd be pretty easy. Weld in nuts about every 6-8" around the window opening. Get your lexan cut to size and drilled for the nuts and then use stainless button heads to hold the lexan in. Any kind of rubber or foam gasket will work. We use sheetmetal screws to hold the lexan windshield in our road race car. We use 1/4"x1" foam to seal it off, works great. I'll be putting lexan in my 2 dr. but wasn't really planning on making it easily removable.

Sean

Depending on the thickness of hte lexan you MIGHT be able to drill it and use dzus fastners. That would be the hot setup, know bolts or screws to worry about.

Back