• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock shock pics?

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
ok, doesn't have to be OEM, but in the stock mounting location. I just got some Bilstein shocks and put them on yesterday. When I was tightening the rear (lower) the bushing got all squishy and compact. I wasn't sure how much to tighten it, so anyone have some pics that I can compare with?

Also, if you have pics of the front shocks (in the engine compartment) that would be great. Those bushings REALLY squeezed down. I wasn't a monkey on the wrench either. :)

For the "donut" type bushings used on stud-mount shock absorbers, the rule of thumb is to tighten the nut until the bushing is the same diameter as the steel washers that contain the bushing, but no further.

The bushings on the other end of the shock should be limited in tightening by a similar rule--dont' squish the bushing any more than the sleeve in which it is contaained.

AZ Jeff said:
For the "donut" type bushings used on stud-mount shock absorbers, the rule of thumb is to tighten the nut until the bushing is the same diameter as the steel washers that contain the bushing, but no further.

The bushings on the other end of the shock should be limited in tightening by a similar rule--dont' squish the bushing any more than the sleeve in which it is contaained.

Oh...well then the top bushing for the front shock cannot be tightened very much at all. Just a couple rotations and the bushing was already swelled slightly beyond that of the retaining ring. *sigh*

Shocks are supposed to be easy...

Just be glad you didn't snap off any of the factory bar pin mounting bolts in the rear. Talk about a PITA.

Back