• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tires Needed

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some new tires in a bad way (co-workers pointing and laughing at my bald rubber) and I'm trying decide on size. I am currently running 32" BFG muds and have stock 3.55 gears at 5" of lift and hacked away fenders. I have very little funds right now and won't be re-gearing for some time but am trying to decide if I should step up to 33's or will I feel a big difference in acceleration and notice much worse mileage or would I better staying with 32's or even going down to 31's. The main problem is cost out here in the desert the local places charge more for 32's than for 33's or 31's and cost is a very big factor right now.
Any comments?

Go for 33s, sounds like you have enough clearance to clear them and 3.55 will not be that bad. i ran 32" and 33"s on my old YJ with 3.07 gears, and it was bearable on the street.

Look in the back of you off road mag for a company called hi tech retreading. I know it sounds corney but i have been running a set of 31's for a while and so far they have been great. Im soon to order a set of 33's for 65 er so bucks each. They have a web site but i dont have the link on hand.

Spc Stauffer Camp JC Iraq

Ralph said:
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

I just ordered some 265x75R16 OTR Muds. Should be here by Monday. 5 tires for $400 shipped from SD to TX. Can't wait to try them out.

RR3
The 31 mt's have done really well in the mud (of corse) and also really well in the rain and snow. Here is the only pic i have right at the moment im not really sure how much you will be able to see of the tread but its worth a shot. http://community.webshots.com/photo/105775487/105992416JCnJnI
They use bfg and goodyear casings for all there stuff.

Last edited:
Ralph said:
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

I just ordered some 265x75R16 OTR Muds. Should be here by Monday. 5 tires for $400 shipped from SD to TX. Can't wait to try them out.

RR3

I got a set of 33" muds from them. For only $370 Shipped to NC. I like them!

bottleworks said:
I got a set of 33" muds from them. For only $370 Shipped to NC. I like them!

And they will be making 35" Muds very soon...

I dont know about them re-treads, just something that i dont like about them.

I would get some 33" MT/R's or BFG's if I were you.

It sounds like a pretty good deal. :yelclap: How well do they wear? I read some of the testimonials on the web site and some said they were getting anywhere from 30,000 up to 60,000 mile on them.
Has anyone heard of or experienced the tread separating from the core? I live between death valley and the Mojave desert and it can get pretty hot out here (120+ for weeks) and it can really tear on tires.

I guess I don't know if your running this rig for a daily driver or not but, check out the super swamper LTB. There about 100$ each and have some serous bite to them. I ran the 34's for a while and liked them. There really noisy on the highway though. Now I run the 35" MTR's and will never look back. Just my .02.

Back