• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Factory Loctite

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I've not been able to remove the bolts for my track bar bracket. I got in and took a close look at the bolts this weekend and they have a grayish 'paint' around them. So I am guessing they are loctited.

Does anyone know what will disolve or otherwise remove the loctite? Does it burn/melt off? I am guessing that solvents will not work butcause they can't get in to it. What has worked for you all?

Thanks,
-Brian

That is what I incorrectly thought. We tried a four foot pipe on a breaking bar with no luck. We tried an impact gun with no luck (other than eventually we broke the socket)

I was going to ask for someone with a torch to give that a try - but I would like to know if there is any reason to think that the loctite will melt away...

-Brian

RTicUL8 said:

BrianJr said:
And if it is a weld... What then? There really isn't much room down there.

Thanks for the patience guys: This is my first lift and there have been a lot of unexpected gotchas. LOL

Welll -- a LOT more heat! try picking at the "paint" to see if you can discern what exactly it is, someone could'a used a filled epoxy (similar to Devcon F or JB Weld) to hod those fasteners - both will soften somewhat with heat though filled epoxies do take quite a little heat to get going - alternating cycles of moderate heat quenched with a little penetrant (PB as above) can free some stuff - but I'm not sure if the fasteners in the OEM trackbar mount would'a even held up to a 4' breaker bar without just twisting in half - Exactly which bolts are you working on (should be only qty=4; all accessible from underneath/outside, that thread into nuts in the motor mounting plate and like that...)?

Be careful on that side of the block - there's usually some Powersteering fluid leaks and the fuel lines aren't too far away

Specifically the two vertical bolts, but the other two might be just as bad. I am replacing the track-bar bracket as part of the install of Rubicon Express's HD track-bar and bracket.

-Brian

satan said:
Welll -- a LOT more heat! try picking at the "paint" to see if you can discern what exactly it is, someone could'a used a filled epoxy (similar to Devcon F or JB Weld) to hod those fasteners - both will soften somewhat with heat though filled epoxies do take quite a little heat to get going - alternating cycles of moderate heat quenched with a little penetrant (PB as above) can free some stuff - but I'm not sure if the fasteners in the OEM trackbar mount would'a even held up to a 4' breaker bar without just twisting in half - Exactly which bolts are you working on (should be only qty=4; all accessible from underneath/outside, that thread into nuts in the motor mounting plate and like that...)?

Be careful on that side of the block - there's usually some Powersteering fluid leaks and the fuel lines aren't too far away

Having "been there done that" I think that there is some fact. threadlocker on them. Generous amounts of PB and the breakerbar with an impact socket will likely do the trick. since that can be the last thing you do in the lift process soak the offending fasteners with PB overnight and hit them at the end of the lift process. BTW you want the new bracket goodentite also! or :explosion That'll get it loose!
JK!!

Back