• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSD Ignition

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, i was just wondering what you guys thought about the MSD ignition along with a msd coil. Does it give noticeable power gains? is it worth it? Do i have to buy a new distributor if i add a modified coil? any info on this would be great. thanks

I’ve been using an MSD box and Axcell super coil for the last 7 months and I love it. They were good for a 2-mpg increase apiece (4 mpg total). The extra mpgs weren’t really a big deal, but it felt like it had noticeably more power. The coil smoothed up my rough idle. I’m just using the MSD 5 box (the cheap one); I have no idea if the 6 is any better. You don’t have to modify your distributor, but you do have to cut an ignition wire (the instructions explain it all). It only took me a couple of hours, but any competent person could do it in a ½ hour or so. Electrical wiring is not my strong point. I’d do the mod again in a heartbeat. BTW how old is your cap and wires? They are pretty cheap and it probably wouldn’t hurt to change them if it’s been a while. New spark plugs help too. I prefer Bosh 4 prongs, but any good platinum tip one will do.

The MSD is a great piece of equipment...I run one on my dragbike...reliable spark clean past 12K RPM...Where this ignition would be most beneficial would be on carbed applications or on engines that have issues with excessively rich mixtures (either from fuel system problems or from poor quench, or running a cam with a lot of overlap) or oil control problems..

In all honesty, the stock ignition is very good too..start with a complete tuneup..I strongly recommend a leakdown test to baseline the cylinder seal.

waste of money on standard aplications. only of real use on true performance machines. do not use 4 prong plugs they tend to shield the spark and i've seen them blast a hole thru 2 pistons. true indexing of the spark plugs will work better than 4 prongs.

I've put a MSD-6T with a MSD Blaster coil. It smoothed out the idle and the throttle response is awesome. It complimented my K&N cone filter and 2.5" cat back exhaust. My mpg didn't go up (I have lead foot-itis) but it really has awesome throttle response.

Back