• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Options

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
The water pump in my '90 4.0 has gave up the ghost, I was wondering if anyone makes a higher capacity pump that I could stick on there since I have to replace it anyways.

Thanks

You can try a Flowkooler water pump. I put one on my 93 about four years ago and it's served me well since. They have a slightly different design to the impeller that is supposed to dramatically improve the flow rate at low speed. I've heard one or two guys complain about the quality, but like I said I've been happy with mine.

I'm one of the complainers. :)

I've rattled on so many times about my many problems with FlowCooler. I'll spare everyone THIS time....

Go with the Hesco pump, it has a billet aluminum impeller with quite a few more fins than the stock impeller.

My FlowKooler was just a stock impeller w. a sheet metal plate riveted to the back of it. This is why you pay so much for a FlowKooler? Most likely you'll have to double/triple up on the gaskets just to keep the plate/rivets from bottoming out when you tighten it down. I've never heard stories of the rivets ever loosening, just speculating, but could be bad news if it happened.

Go Hesco and do it right.... www.hescosc.com

Ecarlcl said:
Thanks, I didnt know who all made parts for these motors.

If you're looking for engine parts/performance in general, you should also check out Accurate Power and Clifford Performance.

I replaced my water pump with a stock one but I used a high flow thermostat and now the temp never makes it to 210. From my understanding a stock water pump is bullet proof. Talked with the guys that work on my jeep (tired of working on my own jeep) and they said to stick with the stock one.

My Napa Works great, & has a lifetime warranty. What ever you, stay away from Pep Boys Manny Mo & Jack it up :nono: . I went with them 1st, What a POS. I went thru 2 in less than 5 months :repair: :mad: . Got my $$$ back & bought a brand new Napa, no problems 4+ years. I'll never buy another Pep Boy part in my life :smsoap:

I was going to go napa anyways. Im a poor college kid, so I cant afford a 150.00 aftermarket pump anyways. This one is still hangin on but it leaks needs a pump soon.

Back