• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damn

SouSy

NAXJA Forum User
I go to start the 85 today and guess what.... no go. All there is is a buzzing sound comming from the engine bay from the thing right behind the passenger light :cry: What can I do to get my xj back on the road, I was taking it to get a new clutch put in today :tear:

SouSy said:
"...from the thing right behind the passenger light..."

:confused: The battery?

RTicUL8 said:
:confused: The battery?
no, there is a silver thing bolted to the front of the jeep behind the pass headlight

JnJ said:
I believe the sound is the starter relay, but don't quote me on that. Sounds like the battery needs a charge.
Tried charging the battery and it still did it.

SouSy said:
Tried charging the battery and it still did it.
Next, get under the Jeep and rap on the starter with a light hammer or something heavy and then try to start it again. If this gets you started, it's time to replace the starter.

Check also, the tightness of all the cables. I just checked my 85 and the only silver box I found was on the inner fenderwell. It had about 4 or 5 green wires attached to it, and also a black wire that ran to the negative post on the battery. I have another separate cable that runs from the neg post to the starter also.

I would have to go with bad wire or bad starter.

Hey guys. Still no go, but I took pictures of where I heard clicking from.
pos.jpg

pos2.jpg

pos3.jpg

Will these need to be replaced with the starter? And what are they?

Those battery terminals and cables could also be the problem.Need to get the cables with the terminals as one.I have seen that particular type terminal
loosen up.Heat from the battery will cause the terminals to loosen up causing poor electrical connection.They will eventually NOT tighten down at all .

So no one knows what those are so I can get new ones?

did you leave your hood open? looks like a winter wonderland in there

tell me this, if you go to turn it on, does it try and turn over at all? If not, wheel the thing in the garage to get it out of the winter wonderland b/c water and electronics don't like each other. Then change out those nasty terminals with dedicated noshit terminals and drop those pansy terminals. My friend had me replace his battery and terminals with those, and it's true, those don't give you the kind of connection that tride and true bolt downs do.

Back