• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5x5.5 shaft alternatives for an XJ Dana 44

motorman

NAXJA Forum User
I am possibly going to 5X5.5 bolt pattern on the front end(Dana 30 with ARB went boom) and am starting to do my homework.

One of the first questions that come to mind is what vehicle's stock axels I could use in my '88 Dana 44 XJ rear end that would be the correct length/spline with a 5X5.5 pattern? Yea I know.... I can get custom shafts made up and might do that for the primary set but am looking for inexpensive alternatives for spares(I must be reading to many of Beezils posts....his insights/knowledge(?) is taking hold......does this mean I am headed to the dark side of the wheelin world??)

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have potential parts or parts source I might be incented to start accumulating pieces.

I'm interested in the answer, too. I'm currently building a HP Dana 44 front w/Ford rotors and hubs, so I need the rear bolt pattern to match the front eventually.

Why does it have to have 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? A popular swap is out of a Wagoneer or other FSJ which uses a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

RR3

Ralph said:
Why does it have to have 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? A popular swap is out of a Wagoneer or other FSJ which uses a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

RR3
Making the front axle 6 on 5 1/2 would be fairly easy at this point, but how would I get the rear XJ Dana 44 I already have to match? Matching bolt patterns would be really nice... :roll:

BillR said:
Making the front axle 6 on 5 1/2 would be fairly easy at this point, but how would I get the rear XJ Dana 44 I already have to match? Matching bolt patterns would be really nice... :roll:
TJ D44 and XJ D44 are the same. Only the backing plates are different. With that Supierior has a set that is drilled to both the 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5. They only cost about $110 ea. They should be stronger than stock and you really not breaking the bank. Then just get your old OEM axles drilled to 5 on 5.5 as spares.

Not enough flange to drill the stock shafts to 5 on 5.5". There is only one way to do it, and that you already know.....get aftermarket shafts. The only 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern rear D44's that I'm aware of are from older Jeeps, but the CJ's will be too narrow and the fullsizes will be too wide. Later, the fullsizes went to 6 lug, but why hassle with changing everything to six lug, that's much more trouble than just getting (stronger) aftermarket shafts. The HPD44 fronts are already 5 on 5.5", so it's easier to change one axle than two. Plus, if you ever needed someone else's spare, there are always 5 on 5.5" spares around on most trail runs.

couldnt you have a set of fullsize shafts shortened and re-splined?

I remember reading about a swap involving using a Scout II housing and XJ shafts to convert a 44 to 5x4.5, perhaps this swap could be reverse-engineered to convert an XJ housing to 5x5.5 using Scout II shafts. Not technical help here, just an idea to look into/try. HTH :)

Ary

motorman said:
I am possibly going to 5X5.5 bolt pattern on the front end(Dana 30 with ARB went boom) and am starting to do my homework.

Cmon give us the carnage story, what you were doing and what when boom? Carnage stories are always fun :)

BrianG said:
couldnt you have a set of fullsize shafts shortened and re-splined?

Sure, but the cost would be so close to stronger alloy aftermarket shafts that it just doesn't make sense to do it.

C'mon folks, alloy shafts are less than $300. That's one of the best values in upgrades that you can do to your rig. You don't hunt all over wrecking yards, you don't ship the shafts anywhere, you just pick up the phone and order them.

You can also do wheel spacer/adapters and easily go from 4.5" to 5.5".
Wheel spacers run about $50 ea. So for a little over $100 you'll have the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern for the rear.
The adapters will also mean that your rear track width will increase by about 2.5" total (1.25" per side).

And to pre-emptively retort any concerns regarding the durability of wheel spacers, I run 1.25" spacers on my rear axle with 38.5's and have been for 3 years now.

Yea, Keith!
Tell us the story (you DO have pics, right?)
:explosion

There are some old 68ish 2wd F-100s that had a D44 in them. There was one at my local yard, but it's gone now. The width was right about 60", but you'd have to make absolute sure that the shafts are the correct length, one side could be offset more than the other, but it's an option.

Tell you the truth, if I were building a bare bone XJ D44 (where you're already buying a locker and shafts), I'd go super 44. With 33 spines, you're entering into D60 territory. With the way you wheel, you'd never break the 33 spine D44 shafts. It's spendy, but nearing bullet proof.

JMHO
Steve

Back