• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tires for wheeling in Socal

Luke

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to plan out my little XJ project, 6inch lift and 33s I live in San Diego and Im New to the off road thing and wanted some opinions on what tires to get, I know every one ask well what kind of wheeling will you be doing, Well Im gonna be limited to the San Diego Area and maybe once a year in Minnesota where I have family so Im guessing a good all around off-road I've been thinking just BFG Mud terrains, But I would like some opinions on what you think would be the best tire for off roading and good wear also!

i believe you'll find the goodyear mtr's the most favorite...the only neg is the price..but the best all-around trail tire to run. aprox. price...$165.00 ec. the tread and side wall protection can not beat. also, the tire of choice of the west coast get'it crew!! just a note: most the guys i know that are running the bfg's will change to the mtr's next time. remember...do it right the first time.....

I run both, BFG M/T's on my XJ and MT/R's on my YJ. The MT/R's ROCK! But there is very little difference between the two, the MT/R's stick to the rocks slightly better but they suck in mud. The BFG's are a little better in mud, but Im not saying they are good. Street performance the MT/R's win, they are quite....and I mean QUITE compared to my BFG's. They are both wearing down the same and I will get lots of miles out of the two. The only reasion I went with BFG's on my XJ was because MT/R's dont come in a 33"x10.50" size, they are only 33x12.50. I like them both, but the MT/R's are nicer on the street and stick a little better on the rocks.

I run the Pro Comp MT's and they have faired well for me. My XJ is my daily driver and I feel I should have gone with a BFG AT since I do ALOT of highway miles, but the way these are wearing I will probably go back to them whenever the time comes. They are not too noisy for an MT and the sidewalls have taken a liken' and still come back for more. Still waiting to try tem out in the snow, but they worked well in mud and sand so I have high hopes for them.
Oh yeah the buy 3 get one free promo was a major deciding factor for me along with MANY recommendations.

If you show up to a rock crawling run with CA XJ'ers, nearly every one will be running MT/R's. On our last Johnson Valley run, every CA rig had MT/R's. There are other good tires, but for grip, sidewall strength, and street manners, the MT/R is very hard (probably impossible) to beat. You could get another tire and be happy with them, but you would not regret getting the MT/R's.

MT/Rs its a no brainer if you wheel your rig in the rocks, I used to run a bfg copy mud tire, and tore a tire at least every other trip. The MTRs have been holding up great. Their price has also came down to pretty reasonable in the last year or two.

If you're not set on a 15" rim, and you want a 33, consider going with a 16" rim and a set of 285/75 16s. They actually measure closer to a true 33 inches than the 33x12.50 and they are only 11.5" wide so they stuff better in the XJ's smallish wheel well. I ran a set of these in the MTRs on my XJ with 4.5" and a good bit of trimming and was extremely happy with the way they functioned size wise(i.e. they stuffed amazingly). I didn't really get to wheel them much, but I'm on the east coast anyways so my input wouldn't be very relevant. HTH

Ary

WHEEL'er-DLR said:
i believe you'll find the goodyear mtr's the most favorite...the only neg is the price..but the best all-around trail tire to run. aprox. price...$165.00 ec. the tread and side wall protection can not beat. also, the tire of choice of the west coast get'it crew!! just a note: most the guys i know that are running the bfg's will change to the mtr's next time. remember...do it right the first time.....

Well I guess I'm the odd man out again.... I'm currently running the MTRs & wished I'd stuck with the BFG MTs. My BFGs went 40K only got a nail in the tread once which could be repaired, went wherever I pointed them with no problems. On the other hand my MTRs cost alittle more, within 5 months (about 4K) I was able to put a stub through the sidewall tread that can not be repaired while they do stick to rocks well they SUCK ! in sand, I've had friends walk past me in 2WD and aired up where I have the be aired down & in 4WD these tires move some realestate & I'm locked up in the rear! I gave a friend a set of 50% worn BFG MTs and now I'm think'n about offering him a swap...
I don't wheel in Johnson Valley & I don't wheel in Glamis BUT ! I do wheel in about every other terrain inbetween and the BFG MTs are my choice. I think either tire is a fine choice BUT ! I feel the BFGs fit my mainly So. Cal. wheeling best.
Thats just my odd man out opinion.....LOL !
I've got my fire suit on so let if flame... LOL!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

My neighbor has the MTR's and they look like a pretty nice tire I did'nt want to do a 10.5 and 12.5 seemed wide for the XJ so Im liking the 285/75 16 Idea
Thanks for the helpful input once again

Lucas

I also have to agree with Xtreme XJ. While I didn't have th MT/R's on an XJ, I did have 37in MT/r's on my F250 at the time. They rode nice, but as stated in sand & mud they sucked. They would just burry {sp} down. I've been happy with my BFG Muds $.02

I'm curious if any of you west coasters have had any experience with the Interco Trxus. I just put a set of 33 12.50s on, but I haven't had a chance to wheel with them yet (I'm a SouthEasterner BTW). I had BFG M/Ts before, and they were ok in mud, but I had way too many issues with the weak sidewalls.

So far I've read nothing but good about the Trxus. I've read a least two accounts of folks getting 40K miles out of 'em. They seem to be a great all around off road tire for the daily driver. Anyway, I was just curious if any of you considered the Trxus an option for a SoCal wheeler.

The Good Year MT/R's are so popular for a reason. Out west, you can be on a run and almost everybody is running the GY's. And those that don't have them yet are considering them.

People have different opinons on this but right now im running tires from Hi-tech retreading. So far they are great.They use the bfg and goodyear casings. The prices are unbleavible.(33's for around $60) They have a warenty and everything. They use a tread pattern similar to the mt"s and for the at's.look in the back of you off-road mags for the add. Here is the link to the site http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/index.html

Ryan

Lee 94XJ said:
I'm curious if any of you west coasters have had any experience with the Interco Trxus.

No personal experience but they are on my mind, along with BFG AT's & PC MT's, for a next set. Those I know running them, mostly Toyotas, have said nothing but good. Appear to wear well, affordable, and be pretty tough, too.

4-Wheel and Off-Road February issue did a test on mud tires, in mud and for highway noise. The MTR and TSL tied for first, then Mickey Claws, then BFG- MT, then Trxus, and last the Pro-comp X-terrain. In regards to the Hi-tech retreads, I have one for a spare and the warranty is void if they're aired down for off-road use. I have the Pro-comp MTs but haven't really had anything comparable to compare to.

well, if you're not concerned with price or treadwear, step up to some 35x13.50 Krawlers!

a little more practically:... everyone runs MTRs, part of that is that they're "cool" but a much bigger part is that they just plain work. the one other tire I would really look at is the TrXus, it seems to be a great tire, and measures a little larger than most tires for a given listed size.

When i lived in so cal I used mt/r's. I like them alot, I have also ran the bfg/mt in the socal area also very good. You won't go wrong with either tire.

Back