• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Disadvantages

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I realize that this will undoubtedly give a few of you some laughs, but are there any disadvantages in ditching the Dana 35 rear end and putting in a Dana 44 rear end? I can't think of any, but I've got to ask.

I would think it depends on gear and operating environs... If you run 31's or 33's, and aren't likely to "break loose" or "spin and grap" - and impart a massive shock to the axle shafts - there probably won't be a problem. The D44 is a good axle (I have a pair I have to build up for my 88,) but there are stronger units out there, and you will have to consider that.

If you are mostly-DD, with a little off-road and probably towing/hauling, the D44 will serve you well. It makes a good replacement for the OEM D30/35 setup, and parts are easy to get. So, unless you are going to get nuts offroad, I don't see a disadvantage to the D44.

5-90

I did this.....2 big disadvantages.

1. You will be tempted to fit disk brakes and a locker, that means more money.
2. I really enjoyed worring about my 35C, with the 44 i miss that part of my life....sniff

Rev

Just BS'ing you.....no disadvantages to upgrading to a stronger axle...do it.

D-mit Rev ... D44's is a future mod I'm planning for on my XJ. I don't need you to make me get all sentimental over my stock axles!

I HATE to cry ...... :tears:

Les

XJWheelie said:
I realize that this will undoubtedly give a few of you some laughs, but are there any disadvantages in ditching the Dana 35 rear end and putting in a Dana 44 rear end? I can't think of any, but I've got to ask.

It has slightly less ground clearance.
It is a little heavier.
Spare axle shafts cost more. (but you probably won't carry any :))
It removes the challenge of wheeling while constantly thinking of being easy on it so you don't have top stop and replace a broken rear axle shaft.

:)

Merry Christmas,

Out of curiousity, anybody got numbers for those? I mean, does anyone know exactly how much more a d44 weighs than a 35, 30 or 8.25? Or how much clearance you lose vs. a 35 (I heard .5"?), 30, or 8.25? Are there ways to gain clearence on a 44 without resorting to $$$$ Tera 50R's?

Drewlee77 said:
Out of curiousity, anybody got numbers for those? I mean, does anyone know exactly how much more a d44 weighs than a 35, 30 or 8.25? Or how much clearance you lose vs. a 35 (I heard .5"?), 30, or 8.25? Are there ways to gain clearence on a 44 without resorting to $$$$ Tera 50R's?

A D44, even with 1/2" thick tubes, isn't very heavy.....not really an issue. The clearance loss is about 1/2", but also not an issue because you need the stronger axle. It's not worth it to go through the trouble of shaving a D44 unless you have very good fabrication skills and the small amount of added clearance is very important. The 1/2" is not a big deal, most of the time when we talk about ground clearance issues it's with a larger D60 or 14 bolt, in which case you loose inches.

Best way to gain ground clearance is to go to taller tires!
:D
You needed a justification to sell your wife on the taller tires anyway, right?
Merry Christmas!!

With a grinder in hand you can clearance the 44 to pretty much match the 35. smoothed the botom of mine and it was nice not to get hung on crap.

Disadvantage?

Yeah, if you have a stack of D35 spares, they're now useless ;)

Even on a stock XJ, that wheels, I'd rather have a D44 rear.

If I get ahold of an XJ Dana 44 rear end do the brakes bolt right up or do I need to modify or change anything?

Do what brakes require modification?Yes,ZJ brakes will(I havent finished mine yet),but has anyone considered the size of the early brakes?The MJ axle I bought has 10.5"x2.5" shoes(huge compared to my current brakes).

The D44's that came on XJ's and MJ's have 10"x2.5" drum brakes. Stock XJ D35 brakes are 10"x1.75", so you get 42% more brake shoe surface. That's a pretty decent improvement and will definitely help with bigger tires. So, make sure you get the brakes with a used axle, but even if they're not complete you can get what's missing from a parts house.

Rev Den said:
I did this.....2 big disadvantages.

1. You will be tempted to fit disk brakes and a locker, that means more money.
2. I really enjoyed worring about my 35C, with the 44 i miss that part of my life....sniff

Rev
Amen
1. I just finished my ZJ disc brakes, don't like to spend money so broke out the welded and now she is lincoln locked...
2. I get to still worry about it cause it is welded rear and soon to be 36's
DIG IT!

Back