• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing package question

bugman1964

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 cherokee limited with trailer package.The rear seams to sit low
is this due to week springs or just the trailer package springs?
While im think does any one know if there is a drivers foot rest acces.
or factory part?

jacob
colorado
01 limited
:eyes:

bugman1964 said:
I have a 01 cherokee limited with trailer package.The rear seams to sit low
is this due to week springs or just the trailer package springs?

jacob
colorado
01 limited
:eyes:

The the only way to know if your springs are sagging or not is to measure them. Here's how:

From the theoretical center of the wheel up to the lower edge of the fender flair should measure 17.5 inches in the front, 17.0 inches in the rear. This is with the standard suspension. If you have a vehicle with the "Up Country" package, these dimensions are one inch greater (18.5 F, 18.0 R).

XJ rear springs tend to sag with age, so I would not be surprised if you measured ride height shows some sag in the rear. Putting on add-a-leaf to each rear spring pack usually can fix this and keep rear ride height near normal.

AZ Jeff said:
The the only way to know if your springs are sagging or not is to measure them. Here's how:

From the theoretical center of the wheel up to the lower edge of the fender flair should measure 17.5 inches in the front, 17.0 inches in the rear. This is with the standard suspension. If you have a vehicle with the "Up Country" package, these dimensions are one inch greater (18.5 F, 18.0 R).

so do you know what trailer package springs should measure or are they the same as standard springs..unfortunetly im the new owner of the jeep and
dont know any of the previous history :roflmao:

bugman1964 said:
so do you know what trailer package springs should measure or are they the same as standard springs..unfortunetly im the new owner of the jeep and dont know any of the previous history :roflmao:

To the best of my knowledge, XJ's with "trailer towing" packages don't have a ride height any different than that for a standard model, and the only real variation in ride height is in the "Up-Country" option.

None the less, the key issue here is that the measurement on the front should be 1/2 inch LARGER than on the rear. If you are seeing much more than 1/2 inch more up front compared to the rear, that's proof your rear springs are sagging.

I would use a tolerance of 3/8 inch on an empty vehicle when taking measurements. In other words, an measure as I mentioned before, and if all measurements are within 3/8 of an inch of the values I stated before, then you springs are OK. If not, then start looking for sag.

Back