• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotted Vac lines

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Found the vac lines to the bumper blimp rotted thru under the battery tray.I know I,m not the first,What did you do to fix,run bulk line or buy new factory lines and if factory what part # if you can remember.
This is for the 87 4.0 5spd my son wants to drive.
Thanks,
Wayne
Merry Christmas

It's just bulk line and you can run a new section and be back in action in no time.

Just go to the hardware store and get rubber tubing (like windshield washer hose) that has the same inner diameter as the outer diameter of the leaking hard vacuum line. Break off however much you need to replace and simply insert the remaining hard line into the rubber tubing (saliva works real nice for a temporary lubricant). I did it on my '87 4.0 L I6, 5-speed almost 2 years ago and having had any problems with the "temporary" repair.

I used gasoline hose,5/32 ID fits nice and tight over the stock lines.Might try visiting a salvage yard to see if you can scrounge up some decent stock vacum lines.

Back