• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ox Locker durability

Ghostrider

Member #344
NAXJA Member
I'm thinking of putting an ARB (Or a TruTrac) in the back of my '01 XJ and an Ox locker up front. Does anybody have any testimonials or links to Ox locker durability? Since I spend by far the majority of my time on ground where the Ox would not be needed I'm wondering what kind of life an Ox would have because I'm going to have to keep this Jeep a loooonngg time.... And if you have an Ox, where did you put the shift lever??

TIA, Ghostrider

I bought mine three and a half years ago when they first came out. I have had NO problems. It has worked flawlessly.

Ghostrider said:
I'm thinking of putting an ARB (Or a TruTrac) in the back of my '01 XJ and an Ox locker up front. Does anybody have any testimonials or links to Ox locker durability? Since I spend by far the majority of my time on ground where the Ox would not be needed I'm wondering what kind of life an Ox would have because I'm going to have to keep this Jeep a loooonngg time.... And if you have an Ox, where did you put the shift lever??

TIA, Ghostrider

I was in a similar boat as you this past summer and did a survey of 20 OX owners. I ultimately decided to run with an ARB after evaluating the responses. I can't remember exactly everything that was said, but eveyone indicated that they had difficulties with getting the shifter engagement correctly initially and at least 8 people mentioned that they continue having to fine tune it a couple of times a year. Only around five of the twenty people experienced any breakage of note, but a couple of the five were catastrophic. Those five also stated they wouldn't buy again and a few of the other non-breakage people lamented the same feelings. They felt the product was still too underdeveloped.

When I combined that with OX not supporting the locker at that time and perhaps still not... I felt the money would be safer invested into a company that can warranty the item if necessary.

MGrobe said:
I was in a similar boat as you this past summer and did a survey of 20 OX owners. I ultimately decided to run with an ARB after evaluating the responses. I can't remember exactly everything that was said, but eveyone indicated that they had difficulties with getting the shifter engagement correctly initially and at least 8 people mentioned that they continue having to fine tune it a couple of times a year. Only around five of the twenty people experienced any breakage of note, but a couple of the five were catastrophic. Those five also stated they wouldn't buy again and a few of the other non-breakage people lamented the same feelings. They felt the product was still too underdeveloped.

When I combined that with OX not supporting the locker at that time and perhaps still not... I felt the money would be safer invested into a company that can warranty the item if necessary.

25% failure rate - Not Good!

Anybody know if OX is even still around?

I don't want to overstate the failures, only two or three were bad, the other two were relatively minor things that were easily repaired within the existing supplier chain. Overall most people were overwhelmingly satisfied with their OX's. You'll find that ARB's are just as likely to grenade as the OX's had in the couple of situations that had been sighted to me. The difference though is that ARB is still in business and is very supportive of their product when the mud hits the fan. But OX isn't currently in the same position and may never be for all I know.

Just a serious buyer beware when buying a $700 locker.

basalt51 said:
25% failure rate - Not Good!

Anybody know if OX is even still around?

Yes, supposedly 4wheelparts is selling them:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=2175&occlass=OXL&cat=DRI

And the design has been changed to better insure positive engagement. Basically, the old design had a set of flat teeth on engage the locker. The new design has beveled teeth that help maintain a more positive engagement. I've installed 3 OX's on two rigs, and didn't have problems with any of them. Also, came up with a really nice mounting plate (for both front and rear OX levers) that replaces the stock ashtray location in '97+s. -SNB

Back