• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For the DIY rear disc fans......e-brakes!

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I came across these slick Wilwood spot parking brake calipers while surfing.......priced at $60-ish each, could be a simple and effective alternative to higher priced setups? Spidertrax uses this caliper with their D-shaft e-brake, but I saw quite a few writeups of folks using them on rear disc rotors as well. Let the creative juices flow.......
http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/wilwood_mechanical_spot_caliper.html

That is the Hearst Airheart caliper that Wilwood and TSM use. I tried using one on each rear disk a long time ago, but they didn't work too well. Lacked clamping power and also had problems with possible rotor runout etc. I ended up taking them off and running without a rear parking brake. I also tried some emergency brake handle mods to increase the distance the cable was pulled compared to how much the handle was moved. I wrote a note about this on here the other day. This spot caliper MAY work ok on the T-case output, but since I've seen pics of the caliper that Allpro and Jess at High Angle driveline use, that is the unit I want to use. It has much more surface area that clamps. I wish I could find the manufacturer of that caliper though. Oh yeah, I want to use it on the back of my 231 with AA sye and Tom Woods 32 spline flange. Jeff

Well, I finally found out who I think makes the High Angle/All Pro caliper and here I see a message that I can get one from TSM! I didn't know TSM used that caliper. I thought they only used the Hearst Airheart unit that Wilwood uses. So, Kieth, did you mount it and get it working? Details?

As for the manufacturer, I believe Hayes Brake LLC is the company. Check the link here:

http://www.hayesbrake.com/standard_products.html

Sure looks like the same unit. The specs are listed there too. BTW, AllPro also sells just the caliper, but they want $89. Seems a bit pricey to me. What did you pay Kieth?

Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Well, I finally found out who I think makes the High Angle/All Pro caliper and here I see a message that I can get one from TSM! I didn't know TSM used that caliper. I thought they only used the Hearst Airheart unit that Wilwood uses. So, Kieth, did you mount it and get it working? Details?

As for the manufacturer, I believe Hayes Brake LLC is the company. Check the link here:

http://www.hayesbrake.com/standard_products.html

Sure looks like the same unit. The specs are listed there too. BTW, AllPro also sells just the caliper, but they want $89. Seems a bit pricey to me. What did you pay Kieth?

Jeff

I mounted it on a Willys I'm building.. Haven't finished the Jeep yet so haven't tried it yet.. I didn't see it on TSM site either but the salesman told me about it as an upgrade to the one they list. It's suspost to hold a 4Runner on a 30% hill so figured it should work on my ~2500lb cj2. Anyway I think I paid $80 for it.

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks Kieth! I didn't know they carried that unit. I've never seen it listed before. Still a bit of cash, but $9 cheaper than All Pro. :) What did you do for a rotor? BTW Redxj4fun, the unit you linked to is the Hearst Airheart unit and I did not have good luck with one mounted on each rear disk. If you used it on the transfer case output it might work better, but since the other one is available and has much improved clamping power, that is the one I am going to try. Jeff

I used the 8" Jaguar rotor, also from TSM. It fits the caliper the bolt patern is right for the d18 ubolt flange.
Keith

Did the caliper from TSM come with a mounting bracket? Basically it looks like the bracket is a piece of steel with two holes spaced at 6" for the pins of the caliper and then two holes down low for bolting the bracket to something. Also, what did the rotor cost? is it 1/4" thick or something else? Thanks, Jeff

Well, this is interesting. Here is a copy of a email from Hayes Brakes LLC:

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your inquiry. We will be unable to assist you with your project as Hayes Brake LLC manufactures strictly non-automotive brake calipers.

We appreciate your interest in our company! Please feel free to contact us regarding future projects.

Regards,
Hayes Brake LLC Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 2:52 PM
To: customer service
Subject: Product information and sales

Hello. I would like to find out the best method for purchasing a mechanical brake caliper that you folks manufacture. Looking on your web pages, I find one listed as 1110M that I am most interested in. I would like to use it on my Jeep as a parking brake. I plan to install it on the transfer case output similar to what I have seen others do. Please provide me with any additional inf. you think would be beneficial such as a dealer where I can easily get the caliper, pads, mounting brackets, and possibly rotors. Thank you for your assistance and feel free to contact me if you need further inf. from me.

Jeff

Here is a response to me from TSM concerning the caliper mounting bracket that All Pro uses.

"Jeff we do not have the mounting bracket you refer to. We will check with our distributor next time we order. We have rotors for most yokes in 8 inch
diameter.
check our web site at tsmmfg.com look under driveshaft park brakes to see
if
any of those rotors will fit your yoke. thanks"

Also, All Pro wants another $15 for the bracket in addition to the $89 for the caliper.

Jeff

Back