• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing hose over #1 plug

ericz

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
1999 XJ
It looks like the easy way to remove the # 1 spark plug is to remove the large hose that runs over the top of it first. My questions:
If I unclamp the hose from where it attaches to the block (front of engine) is fluid going to flow out of there or is the hose empty when the engine is off?

Also, is there a special tool that makes removing the clamp and putting it back on easier?
Can the stock clamp be reused?

Thanks
Eric :huh:

Leave that hose alone. Use a boot remover to pull the plug wire and a socket with a universal joint to pull the plug. With a vacuum cleaner, clean around the spark plug before you remove it to prevent dirt from falling into the cylinder.

RR3

I wont touch it. It must be more trouble than working around it.

Thanks

I´ve got a pair of straight pliers, a little duct tape over the jaws, grab the boot twist and pull. A light coat of oil, just on the inside of the boot, not the electrode (use a Q-tip) makes installation and removeal a whole lot easier, next time. Have a pair of cable pliers, soft rubber jaws, I use on occasion, wrong angle for number one though.

The large hose is the upper radiator hose, the two smaller ones nearby are heater hoses - all are full of coolant.

You know, for all that AMC did right on the 4.0, you'd think they'd have made the #1 plug easier to reach...

Check around at your local parts house - you should be able to find "spark plug boot pliers" (or a similar name) - they are pliers with plastic jaws that are designed for reaching things like this. Just make certain you grab the boot, and not the wire. Pulling apart the crimp makes that job even more fun!

While you are getting the plug pliers, take the time to pick up a can or two of carburettor cleaner - you should always give EACH plug a blast before you pull it. Also, get some "dielectric grease" - it's the stuff that is used to lubricate plug boots. It's designed for this sort of thing - I find the easiest way to apply it is to smear a little on the porcelain body of the plug, just below the electrode tip. This will smear it all thru the wire boot when you push it on.

Dielectric grease is preferred for this sort of thing - that's what it was designed for. Engine oil can cook off and has the potential to cause trouble you don't want, and a small tube of the right stuff doesn't cost that much. Think of it as cheap insurance...

Also, take the time to get the spark plug socket that has a universal joint inbuilt - or (better yet) has an extension AND a u-joint. I have one I picked up somewhere that has a 3" extension and the joint, and I just love it for #1 and #6 plugs...

5-90

Back