• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stick to Auto..NV4500 or 3500?

TOZOVR

NAXJA Member #713
Say I wanted to swap my '99 over from the AW4....

I know the 4500 has a killer 1'st gear...is the 3500 even close?

If those who have done it had it to do over....what would you do diffently?

thanks folks!

RJ

the nv3550 has a 4 to 1 first gear i think i put one in 3 years ago i love it but it kicks out of first sometimes i think they fixed them after 2000

I installed an NV4500 in my '88 XJ--LOTS of fab work--you have to do significant cutting of the tunnel, which is a major part of the uni body, so major re-design is required to get the stiffness back. If I had it to do over again, I'd go the nv3500 route--decent low and overdrive, with tons less work to install. Also, the NV4500 is a real truck trans--slow shifting, stiff, not that much fun on the road, especially if you want to treat your XJ as a "sports car". I seldom use 1st because it's sow low (I'm running 4:56 and 33's), but 2nd is just a tad high to use as "1st". It's not much of a problem for me because I run a Chevy 350, so I've plenty of power.

why would u want to go from the aw4 to a stick? granted i like driving a manual just as much as the next guy but its so much work puttin in all the hardware to make that conversion.

shortxjdoug said:
why would u want to go from the aw4 to a stick? granted i like driving a manual just as much as the next guy but its so much work puttin in all the hardware to make that conversion.
pedal bracket off junkyard yj, tj, or xj, new brake pedal, master, slave, bellhousing, fork, its an easy swap. guy i know did it to a zj in about 2 days.
i can burn 39's in 1st with the 4500. (axles still have open diffs with factory 4.10 gears
icon10.gif

going to swap in AA3500 with centerforce in the xj soon!

i can burn 33's with the aw4 a slightly modified 4.0 HO and stock 3.55 gears, just gotta use a bit of the brake pedel to get them started.

im talkin ladder bar and 40" boggers nv4500 with a stroked 350. what does 33's aw4 and a stock dana 35 have to do with this?

I'd go with nv4500 and a np205 from a -91 chevy or a dodge deisel as that is the strongest out there and will hold up to 1200 hp
should hold up to any abuse you can put to it but the weight is a killer
nv 4500 ia all cast where 3500 is alumiun

The NV4500 weighs 200LBS, and the shift is forward ~4" from stock.

Back