• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major gear install problems!!! Help

Heep

NAXJA Forum User
86 Waggy D44 front
Went to install the gears this weekend, and when we put the 4.88's in with the original carrier the ring gear was at least a 1/4-1/2" away from the pinoin!!! We shimmed the crap out of it and it was still at least 1/4" away and would barely even touch the teeth. We shimmed it soo much that we could hardly even get the carrier back in to test it. Still 1/4" away. I got the gears form Randy's R&P and they are Yukon gears with all new timkin bearings and seals. The rear with the new spool went in fine. Do I have to get a new carrier? Why is it so far away from the pinion?

I would assume Randy's Ring and pinion would know about this? If not where would I get one?
Thanks

Scotts correct. The carrier break is at 3.92. My guess is the waggy didn't have anything close to that. 3.05's or 3.55's.

Replying at the same time. :)

Yes, Randy's can get you a new carrier and probably several local places also. I think I paid about $60 (without spiders) for the last one I bought. If the spider gears are in good shape you can swap them from what you have now to the new carrier.

Sweeeet, thank you guys. I was getting pretty pissed about the whole ordeal. $600 -spool, F&R gears, 2 master install kits and 5 hours staring at the gears sitting in the pumpkin :mad:

That carrier is your friend. It's shouting at you saying, "Get a front locker!"
:thumbup:

I know its a lunchbox locker but the Aussie is on its way, the carrier is stripped of its spider gears. We had a buddy do it in CO so it was the only time we could get it done.

Lincoln said:
Replying at the same time. :)

Yes, Randy's can get you a new carrier and probably several local places also. I think I paid about $60 (without spiders) for the last one I bought. If the spider gears are in good shape you can swap them from what you have now to the new carrier.

Ummm, sorry for the dumb question...what is a spider gear? what do they do?

Last edited:
Carrier break OWNZ J0!

1887P1010426.JPG

Can you spot the difference?

The carrier break is at 3.92. My guess is the waggy didn't have anything close to that. 3.05's or 3.55's.
I believe the largest gears you can put in it stock are 3.73s......

I just ordered an empyt one for $49 :dunce:

Back