• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plasma Cutter

geo78

NAXJA Forum User
Who has one and what do you like about your particular model? If you had a chance to do it all over again, would you buy the same one? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Thanks

Geoff

I usually rent, neat tool, some dangerous. Requires an fairly sterile work area. Keep a fire extiguisher handy, wear flame retardent clothes.
If you rent, have the guy show you how to change the tips, buy an extra.

It's much safer & easier to use than a Acetelene torch. Dont' worry about flame retardant blah blah blah, wear the same stuff you do when welding. I use an old pair of sunglasses cause the arc isn't near as bright as a welding arc. I bought a HyperTherm PlasmaCut 380 cost about $1100. last year at tax time. I've used it alot this year and it was the best investment I've ever made, except for my welder. It'll cut up to 1/2" but the best quality cuts are 1/4" or less. Most of what I build is 3/16" so it works perfect, and I can use my OBA for the air supply.

Make sure to use shade 5 glasses. The worst flash burn I have had was from a plasma cutter and sun glasses. Granted it was 3/4" stainless I was cutting but still, A PLASMA CUTTER WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYES. Another note, anytime you see red spots after cutting or welding you are doing damamge to your eyes. My night vision declined so much after one year of working at a steel mill that I am a stickler for using at least shade 5 glasses when cutting. "Soapbox mode off" :thumbup:

I have a Thermal Dynamics 75xl. I can push 7/8" cuts. The consumables(tips,tungstens) lasts quit well and don't cost an arm and a leg. Use clean dry air and don't start a cut with out a pilot hole, if you can aviod it. And you will get great life from the machine

vintagespeed said:
It's much safer & easier to use than a Acetelene torch. Dont' worry about flame retardant blah blah blah, wear the same stuff you do when welding. I use an old pair of sunglasses cause the arc isn't near as bright as a welding arc. I bought a HyperTherm PlasmaCut 380 cost about $1100. last year at tax time. I've used it alot this year and it was the best investment I've ever made, except for my welder. It'll cut up to 1/2" but the best quality cuts are 1/4" or less. Most of what I build is 3/16" so it works perfect, and I can use my OBA for the air supply.

Flame retardent, IS the same stuff you´d wear for welding. Wear a thin synthetic fabric and you won´t be wearing it long. Plasma cutter, puts out more pressure than acytelin and the sparks bounce a some farther. I´ve got burn marks all over my arms and neck, been doing it for awhile.
Guess I´ll go use my plasma cutter, in my shorts, my muscle shirt, with my 3-D glasses, catch the sparks in the shop trash can, use a beer to put the fire out.:flamemad: If you use a plasma cutter on dual wall marteial, be ready to wear some hot steel.
Picked up my first acytelin torch in 1956. Plasma cutter in the mid 80`s. Built a few Burger Kings and Popeyes, with it, works well with stainless. Don´t use it on automotive much, when I do, I wet down the surrounding area. Keep an old window sprayer handy (full of water), if some undecoating, padding, oil or what not, flames. Know where the fire extiguisher (C02) is.

Common sense, BLAH BLAH, BLAH.

LOL. Too many touchy people on this board. Sorry, I weld in my Jesus sandals, shredded polyester shorts and a tank-top. Sure I've got some pits but chicks dig scars.

vintagespeed said:
LOL. Too many touchy people on this board. Sorry, I weld in my Jesus sandals, shredded polyester shorts and a tank-top. Sure I've got some pits but chicks dig scars.

Not necessarily touchy... Just teach people the right way to do things the first time. If they want to be stupid and take shortcuts after that then so be it. At least you gave them good info off the bat.

I have a air arc 110 volt italian manufacture that get renamed for whoever is doing the marketing, its the same as a snap on, blue point etc. I recently saw the exact same machine in a norther tools catalog for $949 but it wasn't rated as high as mine.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...OS=on&TEST=Y&productId=200116024&categoryId=0

The northern tool version claims 25 amps and claims it cut up to 3/16th My version says 30 amps and claims 3/8ths So something doesn't add up, especially since my electrical is on a 15 amp circuit. I have cut 1/4 with it, its okay but a little slow, it works pretty good with 3/16ths, and cuts super nice on stuff thinner than that.

I got a killer deal on mine, a guy just threw it in to sweeten the deal on an allready sweet deal on a jeep. I had just bought a blue tipped wrench and didn't think I needed a plasma, but now after having it I really like it and wouldn't want to do without it. Its nice to just pattern something up, trace it and cut it out. and things don't warp out nearlly as much as with the torch.

Back