• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alumi-Flex Tie Rod???

Will it flex during turning? Or cause some kind of bump steer due to flexing on rough roads? If not the only problem would be mounting hydro assist stering if you wanted.

Neil said:
Will it flex during turning? Or cause some kind of bump steer due to flexing on rough roads? If not the only problem would be mounting hydro assist stering if you wanted.

Not according to this review. http://www.rockcrawler.com/ look under tech, & then Jeep Challenger Alumi-Flex Tie Rod . The direct link doesn't work

That's an awesome idea! Taking advantage of the fact that aluminum has a modulus of elastisticy that's about 3 times less than steel....

Ever wonder why alumimum semi tractor trailer flat beds have that huge arch in them? Same reason.. under load aluminum will deflect about 3 times more than steel... thus it can deflect a whole lot more in the elastic range before taking a permanent set...

In theory.. should work fine... I won't worry about bump steer.. but I woudn't put hydro assist on it either...

Keep in mind that Al has a low fatigue strength. That tie-rod may well bend easily... but you can only do that so many times before it gets cracks in it. Even if you never bend it it will develop cracks with time. Of course, it may take a really long time for that to happen or it may only be a year or so... I haven't the foggiest.

Not saying it's a bad idea... just thought I'd throw my .02 in. Fatigue strength should always be considered when Aluminum is involved.

I have seen them work they are quite popular around here cause we can all get them at good price and they work great but once they get bent to much they start to get real flexiable and then get cracks but we are talking a couple years at least if you hit it alot.

Drewlee77 said:
Keep in mind that Al has a low fatigue strength. That tie-rod may well bend easily... but you can only do that so many times before it gets cracks in it. Even if you never bend it it will develop cracks with time. Of course, it may take a really long time for that to happen or it may only be a year or so... I haven't the foggiest.

Not saying it's a bad idea... just thought I'd throw my .02 in. Fatigue strength should always be considered when Aluminum is involved.

Bothers me every time I get on an airplane... :laugh2:

Back