• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear Ratios

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick easy for some question. My XJ is stock in the gears...3.55. My fron R & P is destroyed. I can pick up some 3.73 gears cheap, below $20 cheap. question 1. Is 3.73 much better than 3.55 for offroad use mainly. 2. will 3.73 from a grand cherokee D30 fit an XJ dana 30?
Thanks in advance guys.

the front will work the rear maybe different.
what happen to the front?

Don't know firsthand if 3.73 from a GC will fit in a Cherokee D30, but I don't see why not, just make sure they're both either LP or HP. In my last truck I regeared from 3.42 to 3.73 which is almost the same as what you're talking about, and I wished I had gone deeper, the change just wasn't enough to really make a difference and from 3.55 it will be even less of a difference. Not worth the money IMO. If the front has to be repaired, just spend the money and get the gears you want in the front and now is the time for a locker os lsd if you want one. You'll have to re-gear the rear to match the front, but it doesn't have to be done immediately, you just can't use 4wd until they match again.

2offroad, I went wheeling last satarday and was climbing a pretty massive rock. To make the obstacle you have to climb a tree about 3 feet with your drivers tire, then you'll slide to the top of the rock and if your lucky climb it. Well I started up the tree and had some gooe wheel spin going, I slid off the tree and when the drivers side tire came down cought traction fast and sheared about 6 teeth off my ring and pinion. I had to remove my axle shafts on the trail to get it home cause the axle loced up on me. My plans are I think anyway, are to find a front and rear locker and regear to 4.11. in the process because i have both shafts out i want to upgrade to the bigger u joint shafts up front, and I'll replace all the ujoints in the DS too while its apart. I was wondering about the 3.73 because I found a set for the front on ebay for 10.50 right now. Thanks guys Fred

Sorry to tell you the GC has a standard cut while you have a reverse cut D30 and the gears won't work in your XJ front.

Back