• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic converters availabilty

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Hey All;
I just ordered the cat. back & wanted/need to replace the cat. Summit told me that for a Calif. 96 with the OBD II they couldn't sell me one.
Any ideas as to where to get one that has good flow with a O2 sensor and 50 state compliant? Is the dealer the only choice ?
Thanks for any thoughts & info...
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

You will not fine a legal after market cat with a good flow. There are some after market (OBDII) cat that just came out on the market that are cheaper then the dealers cat and are Ca Smog legal. I'm a Smog Tech in Ca and seen some of the worst attemps at making a none OBD II cat in to a OBD II cat. I can check with may parts dealer to see if they will sell to the public the OBD II cat and the price if you would like?

Mud
So there no source for John Q. public to walk into and buy a cat. that flows better? It would basicly be a stock cat.? I guess if I can't get "better" than stock then where can I get a comparible one?
Thanks for the help & info. & the offer.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I run a random technology high flow cat on my 97. You can order these direct from them and they are legal in all 50 states. The price tag was enough to convince me to build a skid plate. There is a littel sticker shock, but they are still quite a bit cheaper than the daeler.

Here is a pic of SpinTech's cats. The larger one, is the hi-flow cat, the smaller, is the super hi-flow. The super does not flow better than the regular hi-flow. The 'super' is in reference to the size. The reg is $70, the super is $100.

Your upstream o2 is in the header. You just need to add a bung to the cat outlet pipe (any cat you want). They are cheap, and if you have a welder, or know anyone that does (Midas?), drill a hole and weld the bung in, that simple. No if you are in CA, I know this may not have a CARB certification (does it need to?), but is legal (as far as the vehicle emissions are concerned).

Most states do not test OBDII cars on the dyno, or with a sniffer (depends on your states testing methods). Since OBDII cars tell the computer if something is wrong, even a hollow or malfunctioning cat (the purpose of a downstream o2), most states just hook up a code reader to the OBDII plug. If there are no codes, it passes.

As far as the hi-flow, and not being legal, don't worry about it. The hi-flow rating is based on the design, ie: the honeycomb design of all new cats (the honeycomb cat you get from NAPA is hi-flow too). The old cats were a pellet design, and very restrictive. Even the stock cat would be considered hi-flow.

Steve

cats1.jpg

Last edited:
96 and newer XJs with OBDII have a down stream O sensor. You can buy a non OBDII cat and install a bung for the O sensor after the cat and you should be fine. Most places look for the cat not the O sensor so if it passes they don't care.

mark

You can buy a Car-Sound hi-flo cataylist converter from ebay cost you only 40 bucks. Car-Sound hi-flow is recommend by Jeepsunlimited Kolak (Nick) and Dino Savva

O.K let cut to the point.
I'm a Smog Tech and trust me I look to see if you have the LEGAL OBD II Cat.
I've failed many people for what they think is legal. Here is a site that you can use to find out which part is legal and which is not. This is the same place that all of use Smog Tech use. It's our Bible page.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Here is the page that has the legal OBD II cats listed

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

Trust me when it come to checking for non legal parts I look for them. We (Smog Techs) get hit with very big fines for not doing are jobs. We have the
Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair watching us and sending in undercover vehicle. If We lose are lic then we go very very hungry since no other shop would hire a non lic smog tech. trust me 50000.00+ job is not worth looking the othe way even for a friend.
But this is just a point of view of a smog tech.

I do understand about the C.A.R.B. in california laws. Lot Jeepers from Jeepsunlimited use Car-Sound catalytic converter and most everyone passed smog test. Let me find the CARB number for Car-Sound Catalytic converter.

Myself prefer follow the legal by C.A.R.B. approved in california. My jeep is an OBD-II (1996) and I have no problem with Car-Sound catalytic converter. I just had smog test and got passed test last month for the renewal registration.

MudSlinger said:
I've failed many people for what they think is legal. Here is a site that you can use to find out which part is legal and which is not. This is the same place that all of use Smog Tech use. It's our Bible page.

Trust me when it come to checking for non legal parts I look for them. We (Smog Techs) get hit with very big fines for not doing are jobs. We have the
Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair watching us and sending in undercover vehicle. If We lose are lic then we go very very hungry since no other shop would hire a non lic smog tech. trust me 50000.00+ job is not worth looking the othe way even for a friend.

OK.. here proof

CarSound / MagnaFlow is pleased to announce that our 43000 series Catalytic Converters are OBD-II compliant. The California ARB has recently issued an Executive Order allowing the sale and installation of this new line of catalytic converters, which are specifically designed for replacement applications on OBD-II equipped vehicles. The 43000 series catalytic converters will include a special “OBD-II Compliant” stamp on the units themselves.

I just found out that MagnaFlow bought CarSound company out.

It also says EPA and CARB approved. I never want recommend junk or illegal catalytic converter to anyone. I promise you.

More info: http://www.car-sound.com/

MudSlinger said:

Please make sure I was in noway bagging on you as a smog tech, didn't know you were. You guys have strict procedures to follow I understand completely. I am glad to see someone who follows the rules.

Now then I can say from my experience of smoging cars in Ca, I have never seen a tech get on his hands and knees to see if a cat is OBDII legal or not.

Now I get to add my beef with the system; if it passes it shouldn't matter what is on the car or not. :D

mark

Hey guys...
Thanks so much for the help..... I appreciate the sites to see & info. from a
smog techs. side of things....
Thanks again for the help... & I TOTALLY!! agree with Mark H. on the sniffer test.
See Ya !!
Curt

Back