• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP big problem (long)

FatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been chasing down a problem since Saturday. It all started after doing some snow wheeling. After the run it started missing. I thougth it was the TPS but I'm an idiot and it could be adjusted so that's not the problem. So I thought fuel filter? So I replaced that and it was very dirty, but I then started it and drove (still missing) to the end of the road and back and it stalled at my driveway. Now it won't start. I did the standard check, CPS tests good, has good spark, and it turns over, then I opened the fuel rail bleeder and nothing came out not even a drop of gas! WTF?
So when I was under changing the fuel filter I noticed the front of the gas tank was packed with snow and ice from wheeling so my thought was that I got some water in my gas and it froze, but at the same time there was plenty of gas pressure when I removed the lines. So I am assuming there is a restriction some where between the rail and the filter. How the hell do I fix that?

I am thinking that I can remove the line from the rail and the front of the filter and blow on it to see if there's a restriction. Other than that I am lost. Any other suggestions, I am open to anything.

Well test one done and failed.... I pulled the line from the rail and turned on the key. The fuel pump came on and nothing came out. So i puckered up and blew as hard as I could into the line I felt soemthing but it might have been a brain hemmorhage. I then thougth well if it's frozen some isoproyl will get it to thaw so i dumped it down the fuel line and waited a minute or two then hit the key again...nothing.... again... oh a little spurt came out! So now there's fuel coming out the line, but it's only right as the pump shuts off. Then the gas tetreats back down the line quickly.

This is a brand new fuel pump as of last August. Will the intank filter clog enough to cause the filter to not work? If I have to replace the pump again I am going to be :flamemad:

I NEED A GARAGE!!!!

How 'bout putting an aux fuel line from the pump to a gas can, hitting 12VDC to the pump and see if it pumps fuel out of the gas tank (and how hard it's pushing).

What fuel pump did you put in? I do know that I had a bad run from one manufature (I think it was Autotune if I remember right), I went through NINE pumps in a two month period! The problem with them was the filter sock didn't stay on for shit, so the sock would fall off and the tiniest bit of grit in the tank would take out the pump.

If you have to replace the pump I really like Airtex pumps. They're a little pricey, but you get the whole pump and sending unit assembely (and sock). I got a Master brand pump from Autozone awhile back as it was a lot cheaper and I was broke, the Master is actually an Airtex pump, as long as you get it with sending unit.

If the pump looks alright I'd check into the fuel pump circuit, is it getting power (when you hit the key on, does the pump power up for a few seconds, also in start cycle the pump should be on steady)? You might swap the fuel pump relay to be safe as well.

Sequoia

Well I have determined the fuel pump is dead. It turns on when the key is turned and I can hear it running when the starter is going so I am assuming the pump is dead which sucks because it's only 7 months old. I am really hating buying cheap parts, my oil pump died in 6 months(dynagear), my spark plugs wires were crap in under a year(autolite), and now my fuel pump is shot I think it was made by Master. I decided this time to get the OEM Bosch pump to replace it since it's only about $80 with my discount.

I am mostly mad because I have to get to class still and it's too cold to ride my motorcycle so I have been bumming rides.

Just a shot in the dark but did the '87's come with a ballast resistor that stepped down the voltage to the fuel pump once the engine was running? The symptoms you describe happened to me when I accidently knocked off one of the wires hooked to the ballast resistor. It will be a white ceramic block looking thing with a wire connected at each end located on your driver side fenderwell next to the airbox. Good luck

Joe F.

Back