• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock-up torque converter

qwickcrx

NAXJA Forum User
While driving in 3rd or 4th gear the converter stays locked up. If I depress the pedal enough it will still downshift, however the torque converter will not unlock prior to that. If I press the brake pedal the torque converter will unlock for a second and then lock up. My gas mileage is poor and the 3rd and 4th gear acceleration is really poor. MAP sensor passed all tests. Throttle cable kickdown cable is also properly adjusted. Anyone have any other ideas? Also I have an 89 cherokee with an AW-4 tranny, 4x4 , 4.0 6cyl.

Last edited:
The TPS plays a role in this. Verify that it is adjusted correctly and that its voltage output varies smoothly as you open the throttle plate.

PaulJ said:
The TPS plays a role in this. Verify that it is adjusted correctly and that its voltage output varies smoothly as you open the throttle plate.

Thanks Paul...I replaced that TPS a year ago...but it won't hurt to check it out...Steve

twice now on 2 diferent XJ's i have had a TPS crap-out after soaking the engine.. TPS can do some wacky things to your trany
mike

Back