• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap roof rack floor??

96country

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a Surco roof rack on the Cherokee and was wondering if anyone had built a floor for one? I was looking for ideas for a relatively cheap way of doing this, so that stuff I put up there doesn't end up riding on the roof itself.

Thanks

i built a floor for my sister's surco roof rack. i used some scrap aluminum expanded metal and screwed it in with sheetmetal screws and washers. i'll see if i can find a pic.

matthew

plywood is going to be the cheapest (pretty light too) you could paint it black and probably no one would even notice its wood

expanded metal would be good as well, steel or aluminum, but cost a little more and a little harder to work with

I found some plywood, laminated with some kind of polyester (and maybe wax), they were using for reusable concret forms. Cut, resealed the edges, with a little polyester resin. Been in the weather for ten years. Only problem, I have never been able to find a paint that will stick to it.

8Mud said:
I found some plywood, laminated with some kind of polyester (and maybe wax), they were using for reusable concret forms. Cut, resealed the edges, with a little polyester resin. Been in the weather for ten years. Only problem, I have never been able to find a paint that will stick to it.

marine plywood, you can use that stuff for anything I made a floor for my 31' model A out of it.

I'd go with expanded metal for the rack tho, just go dig around your local steelyard scrap pile.

Back