• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideal oil pressure

LED-Lightbars

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

As it starts to get cold here, I've noticed that my oil pressure gauge is going up. During normal driving, it sits at 40psi while idling and goes up to 55psi sometimes while driving. After getting off the freeway, it will drop down to 30psi while idling. I'm using what the manual recomends, I think 10-30, but I'm concerned as the manual mentions the pressure should be around 13-60 during normal driving. The engine temp usually sits just under 210, say, 200 or so. Also, I'm in Arizona, so our coldest day sometimes gets to freezing, at night.

Soooooo, should I switch to a lighter oil? Oil's getting changed tomorrow and I might switch to a synthetic. OR, I'm I good to go and don't worry about a little extra pressure. During the "Warmer" months here, it normally sits around 20psi while idling. Oh, its a 2000, auto, w/ around 54000 miles.

Thanks and sorry for the "rambling".

This info is from the Mopar Performance Jeep Engines 3rd edition book
At idle speed(600rpm)--13 psi
at 1600 rpm or higher- 37-75 psi
Oil pressure relief ---- 75 psi
HTH
Wayne

hondastomper said:
Hey all,

As it starts to get cold here, I've noticed that my oil pressure gauge is going up. During normal driving, it sits at 40psi while idling and goes up to 55psi sometimes while driving. After getting off the freeway, it will drop down to 30psi while idling. I'm using what the manual recomends, I think 10-30, but I'm concerned as the manual mentions the pressure should be around 13-60 during normal driving. The engine temp usually sits just under 210, say, 200 or so. Also, I'm in Arizona, so our coldest day sometimes gets to freezing, at night.

Soooooo, should I switch to a lighter oil? Oil's getting changed tomorrow and I might switch to a synthetic. OR, I'm I good to go and don't worry about a little extra pressure. During the "Warmer" months here, it normally sits around 20psi while idling. Oh, its a 2000, auto, w/ around 54000 miles.

Thanks and sorry for the "rambling".

Wayne Sihler said:
This info is from the Mopar Performance Jeep Engines 3rd edition book
At idle speed(600rpm)--13 psi
at 1600 rpm or higher- 37-75 psi
Oil pressure relief ---- 75 psi
HTH
Wayne

wow, i don't think I have ever seen oil pressure at 75psi, my 2000 4.0L XJ hovers at around 53 psi at full throttle

I guess at cold start,or with thick oil,or some restriction in the system it would go that high(75#) But the pressure relief spring would bleed the pressure off.
None of the 3 here have ever been that high,but never had them new,and they average 150,000 miles now.
Wayne

I know mine, when I first start it on a cold morning, will be around 65-70ish. At Idle @20 and cruising @45. I just replaced idiot light about two years ago with gauge cluster(New sending unit) so, hard to say what it was when it was a nice young engine now its at 175K.

Mine sits at about 60psi all the time, idling when cold and anything above idle when warm. After it warms up it never drops below 40psi at idle.
marc

Back