• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Chry 8.25 Vs XJ D44 Vs Explorer 8.8

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Since everyone else is talking about axles.

My local yard has two rear axles, The chry 8.25 off an XJ and a 8.8 off an explorer. Either one $400.00. A yard 5 hour drive (that's 10 round trip) has a D44 off an XJ for $150 more.

I like the idea of the straight swap of the 8.25.
I also like the idea of disk brakes. and am not afraid of having to put on the brackets.
I really like the idea of the d44 but am not sure it's worth the extra money and gas to go get it.

I am on 31's now and think that it'll be a long time till I want to get over 35's. But not too long till I want the 35's

I'll have to regear any of the three...

What are your opinions of my three?

Thanks

Daryl

Do the 8.8, Its stronger than a 44, Disc brakes from the factory, and same width. Pretty much. Make sure it has the disc brakes, that lets you know that its 31 spline.

What gears are you running or going to?You didnt say if that 8.8 had disc brakes?My personal choice would be the D44!I dont know much about the 8.8 R+p size so maybe someone else can help out with that.For your needs I think any of three would be fine!
The 8.25 and 8.8 are C-clip axles
The 8.25 has equal length axles(make a spare easier)
The 8.25=29spline,44=30spline,8.8=31spline
The 8.25 R+P/carrier/bearing set is larger than the 44(8.8?)
The 8.25 and 8.8 do not have carrier breaks(the 8.25 only goes to 4.56)
The 8.8 you will have to weld on all the mounts

It's looking like the 8.8, one other question. But if I do go with the 8.25, are the spring perches any stouter than the perches that were on my D35? After awhile the "flat" part that the springs set on became curved. If anyone has had trouble with them bending on the 8.25 than I'd be putting on spring perches any way, and that makes the 8.8 make even more sense.

I'm wanting to go 4.56 gearing. Non of the three match the front.

Thanks again

Daryl

I've never had that problem with the perches on either of my 8.25's. Anybody else?

Thing is, I hadn't heard about it happening on a d35 untill after I did it. Since then I've heard of a couple people that have had that same problem.

matter of fact. I think 2 or three said they'd seen d35 bend perches when I asked about it here.

I dunno about the OEM spring perches bending, but we have a nut among us that has an 8.8 running 35s. Once he ripped the axletube metal, around the welded on traction-link mount, and on another occasion, he rotated the tube in the housing... He 'might' have been getting it though...

8.8 ratios only go down to 4.88 (also the lowest ratio for the D30) but a 44 can go some lower...

Not to say I dislike the 8.8". I think for medium-duty in a DD/trail rig, one of the disc-brake units would be a sweet upgrade from a D35...even more if the gear ratio matched the upfront. IIRC the V8 Exps/Mounties had up to 4.10:1 & opt. L/S diff.

MORE springpads are great, and ORGS shock mounts look good too. Both will go on my next axle project...

woody said:
I dunno about the OEM spring perches bending, but we have a nut among us that has an 8.8 running 35s. Once he ripped the axletube metal, around the welded on traction-link mount, and on another occasion, he rotated the tube in the housing... He 'might' have been getting it though...

8.8 ratios only go down to 4.88 (also the lowest ratio for the D30) but a 44 can go some lower...

SPOBI....8.8's go to 5.13.

Yes, someone you know has done some damamge to an 8.8. Do you suppose that same someone can damage about any axle in existance? Methinks maybe.....

CRASH

Oh, there was a broken ARB in there as well.

To be helpful....

The 44 and the 8.8 are a tossup. The 8.8 has a stronger pinion, which is the weak link on the 44.

The 44 has stronger tubes and case.

The 8.8 has stronger shafts.

The 8.25 should not even be in consideration. The quality control on these units is horrendous. Most are noisy from the factory, the pinion has a funky oiling problem, and the case has a nice lip that is excellent at diggin trenches.

CRASH

If you are looking for the other "8.25", I've a complete from drum to drum for $125.00!

1255chry825.jpg

RCP Phx said:
What gears are you running or going to?You didnt say if that 8.8 had disc brakes?My personal choice would be the D44!I dont know much about the 8.8 R+p size so maybe someone else can help out with that.For your needs I think any of three would be fine!

What year is the 8.25 out of it makes a huge difference if it is '96or older then get either the 8.8 or the D44. The 8.25 will only have 27 splines if it is out of 97+ it will have 29 spline. The 8.8 cost seems a little high to me you can get a brand new one down here for $450. I only got my D44 cause it was $200.
HTH
DIG IT

RCP Phx said:

The 8.25 axle shafts are NOT the same length. There is about a 1/4 inch of difference between the left and right side.

kraziexj said:
The 8.25 axle shafts are NOT the same length. There is about a 1/4 inch of difference between the left and right side.

yes they are the same length I have an 8.25 I Have checked and they are the exact same.

BUCKYXJ said:
What year is the 8.25 out of it makes a huge difference if it is '96or older then get either the 8.8 or the D44. The 8.25 will only have 27 splines if it is out of 97+ it will have 29 spline.

Not necessarily.. my 96 has a 29 spl. 8.25, I do know of others too. I think it's one of those JEEP things that happens, nothing is in stone from year to year.
I know others have had problems with the 8.25 but as of now I'm happy, 4.56s & a No Slip.
No gear whine(of which I think SOME is self inflicted) quiet, no problems with spring perches, hell I even peeled the cover back real good the other day & no leaks maybe I'm just lucky. My only bitch is that the brakes or too small &
the lower casting lip sticks down alittle too low.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Xtreme XJ said:
BUCKYXJ said:
What year is the 8.25 out of it makes a huge difference if it is '96or older then get either the 8.8 or the D44. The 8.25 will only have 27 splines if it is out of 97+ it will have 29 spline.

Not necessarily.. my 96 has a 29 spl. 8.25, I do know of others too. I think it's one of those JEEP things that happens, nothing is in stone from year to year.
I know others have had problems with the 8.25 but as of now I'm happy, 4.56s & a No Slip.
No gear whine(of which I think SOME is self inflicted) quiet, no problems with spring perches, hell I even peeled the cover back real good the other day & no leaks maybe I'm just lucky. My only bitch is that the brakes or too small &
the lower casting lip sticks down alittle too low.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Alot of the drivetrain changes actually took place in mid '96 production.
My wifes '96 XJ had the newer '97 and up style t-case output shaft.

It was just a general referance if you get a 97+ or newer you will have 29 spline. Instead of saying some 96s cause the salvages aint gonna know. I still say go 8.8 but I love me D44

Back