• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never ending part time light

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
The light in my dash that says "part time" is on full time now.

Everything seems to be engaging and disengaging as it should. (Both front tires are turning when in 4 wheel, seems to drive as it should on the street)

I'm thinking it's the sensor in the axle that turns the light on, has gotten stuck on. Anyone know of this. or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Daryl

Last night after using 4wheel to get in and out of my parking spot at the bowling alley (what can I say the snow plow made especially for me!) the light started blinking on the way home. Not blink like a turn signal, blink like a wire shorting type of blink.

Thanks

Daryl

Check the wire that goes to the sensor for shorts. Whn vac is applied to the sensor it goes to ground to turn on light. The sensor is located under the pressure bottle.

Rev

I pulled the vacuum lines off the axle for a while and the light still stayed on. from past experience if the vacuum lines came off the light was out as well as the axle disengaged.

Rev
Can you be more specific about what and where you mean here? "The sensor is located under the pressure bottle."

Are you talking about the wires at the axle?

Thanks again. Daryl

There is a sensor (on my 90, should be the same) under the pressure bottle. It will have a vac line running to it, and a wire connected. When it detect vac it shorts that wire to ground. You could try discoing the wire and see if you light goes out...but...it soulnds to me like the insulation on that wire has worn off and it is making contact with the body or some other metal before it hits that sensor.

Rev

If you look on the fenderwell under the pressure bottle, there should be one (part-time only) or two (full-time) small switches with vacuum lines running into them.

The sensors are blue, and about 1"x1/2" on little galvanised brackets. I don't know about replacing them, but I've got some cherry switches that I plan to use when the time comes (that way, I can switch off the mechanical action of the shifter lever rather than underhoof from the vacuum - since I also plan on doing away with the vacuum disco and the NP231J anyhow...)

I think I can scratch up a spare switch (or sensor!) if you need one...

5-90

Found it today, the wires coming off the axle must have gotten pulled by something. The insulation was pulled back, and a few of the "threads" of the wires exposed and broken. They were close enough that they'd touch. For now, a little electric tape has fixed the problem, thou it's just a stop gap fix.

Thanks all.

Back