• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 maybe......also some funky thirdmember axle.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok I went to a local yard today to check out some $100-$150 axles. One of the axles was this one.
dana44hd76hdhub.jpg

Heavy Duty Dana 44 hub and lock-out from a 1976 Ford F250 4x4. It also has a much larger knuckle and brakes. Compare this picture to the above one to show the different hubs the Dana 44 axle had. This hub and lock-out ran only in HD Dana 44's from 1969- early 1977.

The other was under a 87 XJ and I think it was a D44. The guy quoted me $200 if I pull it. If it's a 44 would it hold up to my abusive style? 94 2.5L, AX-5, 231, 33's! Or should I forget about it and go straight to the 9" I went out there looking for?

I also saw an axle that was a 94 model with disc brakes and a third member type ring gear. It also had an electrical thing going into the third member? Locker? Or speed sensor? It was 64" WMS to WMS. Also was a coil spring mounted axle.

He also had some D60's I believe. Oh and I saw another CV booted XJ front axle while I was poking around!

Ghost said:
I also saw an axle that was a 94 model with disc brakes and a third member type ring gear. It also had an electrical thing going into the third member? Locker? Or speed sensor? It was 64" WMS to WMS. Also was a coil spring mounted axle.

This is probably a Toyota rear. Because it measured 64" and was coil mounted, I'd say you were looking at the $$$ !! Land Rover rear axle. Was it a four-link?

Hmmm, Maybe more investigation is needed! It might have been a four link. All the markings were worn off. I am going back to check that rear out under the XJ and see if I can turn anything up on a front 44 or other useful axles. There was a hudge axle that looked like a D60 that was 64" wide too.

i see no reason why the XJ D44 won't be a good choice for running in your rig.. even if you have a rather "spirited" driving style.. the 2.5L shouldn't put out enough torque to kill it.. but i'm sure someone somewhere has done just that...
mike

Yea, and I thought there was no way I'd break a D35 with 33's and a 4 popper! Wrong!

The funky axle was 4 linked and it was out of a Mazda MPV I think. EWWW. I think I found a 9" too. I'll know more Friday. He has tons of D60 rears too.

Back