• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has my alternator pooped out?

piperRonnie

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep: 1999 4cyl w/ AC
Story: I let a local shop replace my belt two days ago. I was nice enough to give them all of the relevant XJ shop manual pages regarding serpentine belt replacement.
This morning the battery light goes on (yeah I have idiot lights). Turn around and drive home, shut off engine, pop hood, belt still on but is hot and smells burnt (like vacuum cleaner belt burnt).
I had to go to work, but does anyone think the alternator could be damaged by a too tight belt?
I just want as much info as possible before I bring the Jeep back to the shop.

TIA,
Ron

It doesnt sound like the belt was on too tight, sounds like it was either the wrong belt or they did not tighten it or route it properly. there shouldnt be any damage to your alternator.

piperRonnie said:
Jeep: 1999 4cyl w/ AC
Story: I let a local shop replace my belt two days ago. I was nice enough to give them all of the relevant XJ shop manual pages regarding serpentine belt replacement.
This morning the battery light goes on (yeah I have idiot lights). Turn around and drive home, shut off engine, pop hood, belt still on but is hot and smells burnt (like vacuum cleaner belt burnt).
I had to go to work, but does anyone think the alternator could be damaged by a too tight belt?
I just want as much info as possible before I bring the Jeep back to the shop.

TIA,
Ron
Ron, I guess you're saying the shop doesn't normally work on Jeeps if you had to give them the manual. My guess is they screwed something up but hopefully they'll own up to it. Sorry, but next time I would stick with a Jeep mechanic or learn to do it yourself.

Is there a chance the belt is too loose and the crank or cam pulleys are slipping on it burning the rubber, and that it is not turning the alternator and everything else since there is slippage?

my vote is for too lose.... did you wiggle the belt to check it? a belt too tight can hurt the accesories but not in such a short time... it can lead to worn alternator, p/s pump, and water pump bearings... certainly not in 2 days... the big clue is the smell of burned rubber...
it's slipping
mike

Back