• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS removal, M/C upgrade

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Alright I am removing the ABS from my sisters XJ. I got it all out and I have the parts on order, The booster looks like it will fit good, but I am curious if anyone has done this, go from Crappy ABS to 95 m/c booster? The pedal lloks like it will work, but in the tech article it is mentioned otherwise. Also on a side note it looks like the mc is the same from 95 through 2000 and is the same on ZJ's. Just throwing it out there because it seems like I can only find boosters, apparently there are some M/C vultures in the boneyards. Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the brake switch on the 95 brakes.
Thanks,
Dustin

What year is the ABS rig?

I did this to my 91' and all that was required was to swap the booster and MC - I built and scavenged a few lines off the ABS MC to make it all bolt up without flaring a single line...

Edit: The electronics are plug and play - I did nothing to the wiring - just plugged in the low pressure switch and pulled all the relays and fuses for the ABS

Matt

91' ABS MC bolted to 95' pedal bracket - the vice versa is in the jeep - 95' MC bolted to 91' pedal bracket - no change in the brake switch and pedal rod...

abs8.jpg

Close up on the rod:

abs7.jpg

I had to move the washer reservior foward about 2.25" :

abs2.jpg

Final shot:

abs1.jpg

That's what I was thinking. They look the same to me, I just wasn't sure because of Bones tech writeup. The jeep is a 90 wagoneer. I am going to be putting a 95 m/c and booster on my non abs XJ too, she just had hers in the shop for the 5th ABS repair and they said one of the lines was bad and wanted 400 to fix it so I was suckered into doing the swap for her. Hopefully I can finish it this afternoon. There has been some discussion of the brake switch not working, but i can not see why it would not.
Thanks,
Dustin

87 - 89 Brake switch

The 87 - 89 brake sw hangs on the back of the pedal and presses against a flat on the back of the rod (not the pedal as shown in the pix. So I guess if you have a 90 it's not required to mess with the SW.

When I said they looked the same, I was mainly speaking of the pedals. In the tech article here on Naxja it is mentioned that the brake pedal is different between ABS and non ABS models. Looking at them, they look they same though. Now my main concern is the brake switch. Most of the brake switches I have seen are the same for the earlier models eg. before 92 and the newer ones all appear to be of a different style. My question is can't the older switch be made to work with the newer M/C. I know that the 90 pushrod has a flat surface on it and the 95 does not, but one would think that a grinder could remedy that. And if it will not work, can the switch from the 95 be wired up in the 90. Basically I want to keep my cruise control but still need my brake lights to work. What has everyone done?
Dustin

Back