• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 44 rear disc parts?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I came on here and searched for a while and didnt find the answer to my question. I know that the disc brakes from a ZJ will swap onto an XJ 44 with some drilling etc. but I was just told by a buddy that the discs from a CV are a direct bolt on and dont require any drilling at all, however he didnt have any more details than that. Does anyone know if this is true first of all, and what years this would be true of?
Thanks for your help.
josh

Incredible Hulk said:
CV= Crown Victoria
Anyone with first hand experience on this? Please?

Yes,

Did't we do this already though?

1992+ believe CV, not sure what year but it is the newer style.

I am just going to make a spacer like www.madxj.com with that there is no drilling and bolt on. The rotor center hub will need to be machined a hair or use ZJ rotors.

TJ Rubi retainers will probably work but need to be redrilled as TJ D44 user a smaller bolt pattern at the axle retainer.

http://cherokeekid5.tripod.com/zj_axle_build_up.htm

I haven't fiddled with it in a bit so they aren't all done. Not much to it really.

why not just use ZJ disc brakes? I did on mine and it took about 6 hrs. total work time. no complaints yet.
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
why not just use ZJ disc brakes? I did on mine and it took about 6 hrs. total work time. no complaints yet.
DIG IT!

ZJ disc parts In my experience typically go for at least $150. I've found CV parts with good rotors and pads for $40. And because it makes me cool for figuring it out, instead of doing the same thing as everyone else :wierd:

BTW the caliper piston on the CV are bigger also.

cherokeekid said:
Yes,

I am just going to make a spacer like www.madxj.com with that there is no drilling and bolt on. The rotor center hub will need to be machined a hair or use ZJ rotors.

TJ Rubi retainers will probably work but need to be redrilled as TJ D44 user a smaller bolt pattern at the axle retainer.

I haven't fiddled with it in a bit so they aren't all done. Not much to it really.

Yes I suppose we did cherokeekid, just never got a definitive answer. In that madxj article, It seems that there is drilling required on the caliper bracket, but it doesnt look like much I suppose. Where can you get a spacer made like that?

Incredible Hulk said:
Yes I suppose we did cherokeekid, just never got a definitive answer. In that madxj article, It seems that there is drilling required on the caliper bracket, but it doesnt look like much I suppose. Where can you get a spacer made like that?

I'm heading up the metal yard this weekend hopefully and will be machining a couple sets. If it works I can send you a set. Shipping and couple bucks for the Steel.

[email protected]

tera manufacturing sells a complete bolt on kit for the dana 35, 44 and chrysler 8.25 using ford explorer discs, calipers, backing plates with emergency shoes installed and all necessary hardware . check it out on teraflex website have it on mine with the 8.25 and 33's and i can lock the backs in a panic stop. good luck.

No problem but Jason just said someone has already done it. And your not that cool :)
Anyway I got my ZJ disc brakes for free if not for that I don't know what I would have used. I say go for it worst case senerio your out $40. You can do it. I can check and see if it looks like it would be an easy swap for ya this weekend. My father in law has a salvage that has a few CV's in it. also some ZJ's. DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
No problem but Jason just said someone has already done it. And your not that cool :)

That is probably me.

Oh and I am even more cool than that!!! :viking:

basicall the ZJ/Explorer/CV etc brakes are the same the difference is in the brackets.

The advantage to the ZJ brackets would be that you could use the TJ retainers and jsut redrill the flange on the housing, not sure who it was that did it.

BTW older fords with 8.8 use a different bracket than the newer CV style.

Okay here is what I did. I used Rubi retainer plates they have the spacer built into it and the cost from the dealer is like $3 each you need one for each side. then instead of drilling the backing plate like MadXJ's artical I drilled the axle housing holes. I had to redrill the two bottom ones completely and just elongate one. grind out the center hole of the backing plate so the bearings would fit through. Then bolt it all up basically I used 3.8" grade 8 bolts that were a little longer to make up for the thicker plate. Dont forget you will need new bearings for your shafts and have them pressed on too.
DIG IT!

cherokeekid said:
Yes,

Does this also work on the 8.25, or just the D44?

Thanks,

I used the Ford SVO kit on mine, which is basically a Ford Explorer setup in kit form. I'm guessing the Vicky discs are the same/similar, which are also similar to the ZJ setup......and the Rubi?
In addition to this, my axle housing flange holes got slotted to allow the easy lineup of the backing plate/caliper bracket. Use washers on the bolts to cover the slots, or using Ford type T-head bolts will work as well.

Back