• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ driveline rumble & slippage

PA Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
Since my XJ is totaled and I'm awaiting settlement, I've been trying to bring my MJ on-line before they pull the plug on the rental. Here's the trouble - I have slippage under load (ie climbing a grade) and a rumble/rattle/vibration under the same conditions as well as coast under power. With the slippage you can hear the rpm's climb then a rumble/vibration will begin and the MJ will begin to move somewhat faster.

My neighbor and I dropped the tranny and t-case thinking it was the clutch causing the slippage. We found an almost new clutch w/ no glazing, a new slave cylinder, and new resovior as well. So clutch isn't it ... bad bleed on slave cylinder maybe? Neither explains the rumble and vibration though. Thoughts???

I need something running in under a week, so if this can't be an easy/cheap fix the MJ is for sale and I'll pick something else up to run. $700 is what I have in it and is what I'd need out of it.

Thanks!

Yes ... It does sound like a clutch problem. Did you guys check to make sure the clutch was adjusted properly?

Les

lbexj said:
Yes ... It does sound like a clutch problem. Did you guys check to make sure the clutch was adjusted properly?

Les

Neither one of us is real good with hydraulic clutches. Can you explain the proper way to adjust it?

Thanks!

PA Highlander said:
Neither one of us is real good with hydraulic clutches. Can you explain the proper way to adjust it?

Thanks!

For what it's worth, my 1986 does exactly the same thing. It's referred to as deiseling. I'd like to know how to adjust it as well.
Mine has been a very distinct growling under acceleration, that dropping back a gear seems to end until I fall under a certain RPM in each gear.

This is one of those times you wish Brandon (The 2.8L / 1984-1986 XJ authority) was still posting here. Anybody got his e-mail addy?

Got the whole mess back together tonight ... now I have no pedal :mad: Next to no pedal travel and completly spongy. I think the slave cylinder may not be seated correctly, had a rough time getting it in place. I guess Saturday I'll pull it back off and re-install. I'm really losing my patience at this point ...

PA Highlander said:
Got the whole mess back together tonight ... now I have no pedal :mad: Next to no pedal travel and completly spongy. I think the slave cylinder may not be seated correctly, had a rough time getting it in place. I guess Saturday I'll pull it back off and re-install. I'm really losing my patience at this point ...

is just the disc new or is the pressure plate new as well?

is there anything saturated with oil? I had similar problems w/ my old 2.8/ax5 and it all stemmed from the flywheel being slightly warped. it only costs $10-$20 to have it resurfaced, and that makes a HUGE difference ;)

Back