• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Rear .75" Extended Shackle

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Folks...

Well, I've finally decided on no lift. Here are my plans:

-Bilstein HD shocks
-BF Goodrich KO's (235/75/15)
-Rusty's .75" rear shackle

I figure this will make for a decent ride (mostly daily commute, ski trips) on the road and some trail fun, but nothing hardcore. :wierd:

My question (after doing lots of searching) is...

Will the small lift of the .75" shackle cause the rear leafs (OEM) to wear quicker? They are sagging just a little, and I wanted to boost the rear a tiny bit to make it look better. I don't want to wear things out quicker though, and I like the stock ride.

BTW, I was thinking strongly about this product, but I wasn't sure how it would affect my daily driving and 4x4 fun. Any ideas?

http://www.supersprings.com/home.html

I haven’t herd of the Super Springs before, but I have been using some thing very similar: Hellwig helper springs. It took me less than half an hour to install and adjust both sides. I adjusted mine for an extra ½” or so of height, but you can do anything from level up to a 1” or so. The more lift you get out of them the rougher they will ride. I’ve had them on for about 4 months and I’m very happy. They were definitely worth the $40.

pancake said:
Hello Folks...

Will the small lift of the .75" shackle cause the rear leafs (OEM) to wear quicker? They are sagging just a little, and I wanted to boost the rear a tiny bit to make it look better. I don't want to wear things out quicker though, and I like the stock ride.

I can't answer the wear question, but if you do get Rusty's 0.75" shackles make sure you change the grease nipple they have with a curved one. They come with a straight nipple and if you install them like that, you will have a hard time greasing them. Also, make sure the nipple is to the rear.

Rgds

SV1CEC said:
I can't answer the wear question, but if you do get Rusty's 0.75" shackles make sure you change the grease nipple they have with a curved one. They come with a straight nipple and if you install them like that, you will have a hard time greasing them. Also, make sure the nipple is to the rear.

Rgds

I have Rustys .75 shackle. I havent greased it in 11/2 yrs. and thats 25k miles. It lifts your Jeep up some, in fact it was enought to make up the difference on my 130lbs. rear bumper.

Does the .75" shackle touch the exhaust? Any problems after install? What's the easiest was to install the shackle?

pancake said:
Does the .75" shackle touch the exhaust? Any problems after install? What's the easiest was to install the shackle?

about it touching the exhaust--check out the other thread about my RE shackles---YES it prolly will touch....(im inthe process of figuring out what i'm going to do with my RE 1.25"s and borla exhaust)

i found easiest way was to jack up the rear of the jeep by the frame (let rear axle hang) if you dont have 2 jacks you will (i guess) have to do each side alittle bit at a time and then support with 2 jackstands under the back of the frame--just ahead of the rear wheelwells

and of COURSE make sure u chock the front 2 tires first! ;)

then i used an air impact wrench with some swivel sockets and extensions coupled with a box end wrench.....i BELIEVE they were all 15/16 nuts/bolts.

if you don't have access to an impact (either elec. or air) i HIGHLY suggest u SOAK down all hardware with PB Blaster (not just wussy wd-40) AND get a real long breaker bar to work with--like a nice 3' one should do. work slow and spray the bolts/nuts as u turn them
they are a fine thread, so it might take a little doing...

good luck!!!

CaptTrev

lemme know if u have any more ?'s

little addition i forgot about--

once u get the old hardware and shackles off (do one side at a time)...

i needed to unbolt my shocks to allow the axle to droop an inch or so further down all the way

also-believeit or not the back of the leaf spring wants to actually push UP a bit, once the hardware is removed........so i put a simple little bottle jack on top of the axle and between the frame---and slowly jacked the leaf spring down an inch or so until the proper new needed level (for the new shackle) was attained.

again--good luck!

capttrev

pancake said:

Yes, the shackle touched the exhaust. I visited a local exhaust shop, which heated the pipe a little and used a steel bar to bend it a little to move it away from the shackle. No charge!

As for installing them, I can't help, I had a spring shop do the work for me, since I do not have any spare time and I wanted to do some changes at the leaf packs as well (remove the lower leaf).

Rgds

pancake said:

No it DID NOT on my 2000. What year model XJ do you have?

ZachMan said:
No it DID NOT on my 2000. What year model XJ do you have?

The ... grand-daddy of yours, 1984.

Rgds

Back