• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Kit and Tires

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone

I am new to this forum and I live in Ontario Canada. I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4.0L 5sp man. I want to lift it 5.5" with a Rubicon 3.5" kit and then add the coil spacers for the front and the rear leaf spring blocks to get it up to 5.5". I also want to run 32" All Terrains. I plan on running in Mud and water only and about 2-3 times a month, my question is, is this a good set up? and what else will I need to do to the XJ when I lift it that high?

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

If you've never modified a Jeep before, I would either spend a lot of time on this board searching first, or buy a kit from Rubicon Express that has the height you want, rather than buying a 3.5" kit and putting spacers on. Control arm angles are bad that high, requiring long-arms or drop-brackets, steering is questionable at that height and could use some adjustments/aftermarket parts, driveshaft angles aren't that great and will require at least a transfer case drop, but more likely a Slip Yoke Eliminator. Since you've got the 5-speed, you probably have 3.07 gears and they're going to suck big time with 32" tires, probably want at least 4.10's. Etc. etc. etc......

If you are going to be running Mud and water only why don't you get the MUD tires? :dunno: Also unless you are really strapped for cash I would try and stay away from rear lift blocks. They will increase your chances for spring wrap. If I were you I would get the Rubicon 4.5" Kit with spring packs. You will be much happier with the new springs in the long run. with the 4.5" kit all you should have to do is some very minor fender trimming with propper bumpstoage to fit 32's. If you want to run 32's regear to at least 4.11 but 4.56's would be even better. I ran 32's with 3.07's for way to long. You don't want to go there it sucks. Good luck and do your research before buying anything. Later, Eric

hey Guys

Thanks for all the info, I will see what gears I got in my XJ, Up here we have alot of Jeeps that are going skywards in the way of lifts, so a 3.5" will not cut it, so I will look into the 4.5" forsure! I have to drive the XJ everyday so I do not want to get into tires that will not work to well on the road. Thanks for all the input and hope to learn more as I go. I do not want to do anything to the Jeep to make me hate it. btw, if I do go to 4.5" lift will that fit 32"s with no fender trimming? I do not want to take a hack saw to the XJ just yet...

Thanks

Jeff

Well after doing some more home work I decided to start a bit light for the coming year, So far I will do a Rubicon 3.5" lift and run 31" Mud Tires. This set up should cost around $1800 CND Vs $3000 CND on the set up that I would like for the 5.5" lift, to do a proper 5.5" lift it will run me around $3800 CND thats with 33's and no changes to the gears!, so the cost will run much higher.

Thanks for all the input, any other suggestions will be great

Jeff

Back