• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 wont shift

richdoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys
I have an AW4 in a 1988 pioneer,4.0 with 171000 miles.It wont shift into D or 1st. It starts out in 2nd and shifts to 3rd just fine.I tried unplugging the TCM and it did not make any difference at all.I replaced the TPS,checked the NSS.I
replaced the TCM and checked the tcm fuse.I have power to the TCM.Is there a diagnostic plug for the trans? I tore the dash apart and I could not find one.Will a OBD-II scanner work on a 1988.Sorry for so many ? but Im learning.Any input would be apreciated.Thanks

1988 xj 4.0 auto
1991 xj 4.0 stick

Sounds like one of the two solenoids or connections to them are bad. The aw4 has three solenoids, one for the torque converter lock up and two for shifting. The pattern for shifting is 0 volts on both solenoids is 4th, 12 volts on solenoid 2 only is third, 12 volts on both for second, and 12 volts on solenoid 1 for first. Only going between 2&3 would happen if solenoid 2 was stuck on. If it will shift through the gears manually (moving the shift lever) then my bet is on the solenoids.
Dave

Thanks for the reply DaveB. It wont shift manualy or auto.If I unplug the tcm it dont matter. no difference.I do notice that if I am in reverse it shifts into drive extremly hard. if you arent completly stopped it will almost break your neck when it shifts. I know you should come to a complete stop befor you shift to drive.but it dont slip into drive a bit.Its right now.Ive had the pan off the trans and checked the resistance on the sol. They all checked in specs. although one was just barely.Thanks again.

Here is a link to diagnosing the AW4. I found that I had a bad connection at the fuse to the TCM. I checked the fuse and it was good. I still had no voltage to the TCM. Checking further I found that I had power to the fuse but not coming out of it.It was a bad plug in for the fuse.Trans shifts like a champ now. Hope this helps some others.
Happy New Year

Back