• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing questions

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

When you guys pull heavy loads on your XJ (3000 lbs +), what gear should you be in? Never put it in "overdrive" right? Mine is an 4.0L automatic. I have the OEM Mopar install class III hitch, also is it really necessary to install a tranny cooler? If so, what is a good brand, and price please. Any advice is appreciated.

Correct -- 3rd gear, not overdrive.

To pull 3000 pounds, you should have a tranny cooler. The factory one, if still available, is (obviously) made to fit and is an easy installation.

Eagle said:
Correct -- 3rd gear, not overdrive.

To pull 3000 pounds, you should have a tranny cooler. The factory one, if still available, is (obviously) made to fit and is an easy installation.

Thanks Eagle! I thought so! Just making sure, not to burn up my tranny. I wonder what speeds I should be driving in... under 45mph? Where do I find a tranny cool that is Mopar original equipment? Many thanks again!

You can inquire, but I'm not sure if you'll find a new factory transmission cooler ... according to Mopar it's been obsoleted ... and I just recently plucked the last one out of inventory (per Mopar) from a dealer in Texas. The local dealer and I was surprised they even had it when we called ... usually because they say inventory isn't always inventory in their computers----cycle count accuracy is a common problem.

It was $80.00 bucks. It also included the transmission hoses ... I bought it for a rainy day.

According to my findings, Modine doesn't make this unit anymore ... unlike radiators and condensors. If you can't locate the OEM part ... you may have to go to Hayden ... or retrofit something from another Jeep line.

BTW ... it does have a small Modine label attached ... which confirms Modine is at least one of the OEM's for Mopar.

bchulett said:
You can inquire, but I'm not sure if you'll find a new factory transmission cooler ... according to Mopar it's been obsoleted ... and I just recently plucked the last one out of inventory (per Mopar) from a dealer in Texas. The local dealer and I was surprised they even had it when we called ... usually because they say inventory isn't always inventory in their computers----cycle count accuracy is a common problem.

It was $80.00 bucks. It also included the transmission hoses ... I bought it for a rainy day.

According to my findings, Modine doesn't make this unit anymore ... unlike radiators and condensors. If you can't locate the OEM part ... you may have to go to Hayden ... or retrofit something from another Jeep line.

BTW ... it does have a small Modine label attached ... which confirms Modine is at least one of the OEM's for Mopar.

Awesome! thanks for the tip, BTW, do you have access for the part number? Thanks in advance!

I just pulled a stock tranny cooler from a 87 XJ. Tag on the bottom says Modine MFG. CO. AM 8952002595. Might still be in the system somewhere.

8Mud said:
I just pulled a stock tranny cooler from a 87 XJ. Tag on the bottom says Modine MFG. CO. AM 8952002595. Might still be in the system somewhere.
Thanks brother, I will check my local dealer tommorrow! :laugh3:

I found that the biggest factor in towing with my XJ was wind drag. The wife and I towed a 21' "lightweight" travel trailer out to the west coast and back. Weight with all our gear was probably around 3000, but depending on wind direction, we could cruise with traffic at 75mph or we'd be looking for a semi to draft off of just to go 60. If you're towing something low profile, you should have no problem doing the posted speeds (or more).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/92943384/93291802wjEegD
Gearing will also make a big difference. At that time we had 31s with 4.10 gears which is pretty close to stock RPMs@MPH. If you're running 35s with 3.55s towing will be a little more difficult. :laugh3:
Just noticed you have the Class 3 hitch. If that was on there from the factory you should have the towing package rated for I believe 5000lbs and should not need another trans cooler.

Last edited:
Just in case you can not find a factory aux cooler I'll give you some info on it to help you size an aftermarket one. The dimensions of the finned area of the cooler are 3 inches by 16 inches for a total of 48 sq inches of finned area. when you buy an aftermarket cooler make sure it is at least 48 square inches.

The aux cooler is plumbed into the lines after the fluid had gone through the radiator. You will disconnnect the lower line and install the aux cooler between the lower fitting on the radiator and the rubber line you just disconnected.

I have seen used aux coolers on Ebay over time, you might want to keep an eye open.

lesslimited92 said:
I found that the biggest factor in towing with my XJ was wind drag. The wife and I towed a 21' "lightweight" travel trailer out to the west coast and back. Weight with all our gear was probably around 3000, but depending on wind direction, we could cruise with traffic at 75mph or we'd be looking for a semi to draft off of just to go 60. If you're towing something low profile, you should have no problem doing the posted speeds (or more).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/92943384/93291802wjEegD
Gearing will also make a big difference. At that time we had 31s with 4.10 gears which is pretty close to stock RPMs@MPH. If you're running 35s with 3.55s towing will be a little more difficult. :laugh3:
Just noticed you have the Class 3 hitch. If that was on there from the factory you should have the towing package rated for I believe 5000lbs and should not need another trans cooler.

Actually I dont have the towing package, I just installed the OEM hitch last week, I do have 3:55 gears, what do I need besides the tranny cooler to make it a towing package like the factory? everything is stock with this 2000 XJ 4.0L 2wd, I just wanted a stock look to it with the hitch on it, personally it looks pretty sharp. I really hated the look that some people have their wiring harnesses hanging or wrapped around the towing ball, getting whipped around in the elements or being dragged on the ground. I have the stock tires and rims at 225/75/15's.

Thanks Martin, for the tip, I will keep that in mind for the area size for the cooler.

The power switch on the AW4 ... it's really meant for towing.

Changes upshift/downshift points and keeps it in gear longer when "on" the throttle ... I can't recall if it prevents the converter from locking in 2nd or not.

I'll need to test or read the manual ... it's been awhile.

I won't tow with my XJ anymore.

You might want to look at getting a GDI 3 core radiator with the built in tranny cooler. The factory tow packages came with a 2-core radiator and tranny cooler. From what I’ve read the GDI is quite an improvement. They go for $140 including shipping (1-866-648-9781, can’t remember the co. name). Mine gets hot pulling a load up and down the mountains (’91 w/ factory tow package). I plan on getting one of the GDI radiators eventually. Cooling is just not a priority in AK during winter :laugh3:

bchulett said:
The power switch on the AW4 ... it's really meant for towing.

Changes upshift/downshift points and keeps it in gear longer when "on" the throttle ... I can't recall if it prevents the converter from locking in 2nd or not.

I'll need to test or read the manual ... it's been awhile.

I won't tow with my XJ anymore.

Hmmm, I don't recall where the power switch is located on my automatic.

dogtired said:
what do I need besides the tranny cooler to make it a towing package like the factory?

Even thought it wasn't part of the factory towing package, the towing package makes provisions for it (and some otehrs do so as well).... look into an electric brake controller.... XJ's could use a little bit of help when stopping in the first place... but then with a trailler behind, they definately could use a bit of a help :D

Kejtar said:
Even thought it wasn't part of the factory towing package, the towing package makes provisions for it (and some otehrs do so as well).... look into an electric brake controller.... XJ's could use a little bit of help when stopping in the first place... but then with a trailler behind, they definately could use a bit of a help :D

WW,
It must be the *law* thing you don't understand, all towed vehicles over 2500 lbs must have some type of added brake system, either electrical or buddy system if it is a car. You tow you should know the laws. :D

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
WW,
It must be the *law* thing you don't understand, all towed vehicles over 2500 lbs must have some type of added brake system, either electrical or buddy system if it is a car. You tow you should know the laws. :D

hinkley

Your point being? Isn't that what I suggested? also don't the towing laws vary from state to state?

"Hmmm, I don't recall where the power switch is located on my automatic."

I don't think all XJ's came with the trans power switch ... on mine it's located next to the rear wiper switch.

"The factory tow packages came with a 2-core radiator and tranny cooler. From what I’ve read the GDI is quite an improvement."

Yes they did ... Modine still makes the OEM HD radiator for Mopar, but has discontinued manufacture on the trans cooler. However based on my findings, GDI 3-core is not actually an improvement ... tubes are much smaller ... and probably will plug faster over time ... especially on these old XJ's. Modine 2-core actually has 10% more cooling capability and it's made in USA.

I have 153K miles on my OEM HD radiator (Modine) and it's still doing a fairly good job---in other words, it never gets over 220 idling in 100 degree weather. Before I hit 100K miles, my temp NEVER went over 210 in the most extreme conditions---usually always stayed between 190-195 in normal 90 degree weather idling in traffic.

"they did away with that switch somewhere around 90 to 91"

I'm not sure that is completely accurate ... I have a '91 Laredo with the HD cooling/tow package and AW4 trans power switch ...

"all towed vehicles over 2500 lbs must have some type of added brake system, either electrical or buddy system if it is a car."

Based on my experience, if you roll up in an XJ ... U-Haul won't even rent you a trailer to haul a car ... even with the 5,000 lb. towing pkg.---I've been turned away twice.

Tells you something about the towing capability of an XJ.

Back