• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dropping out of 4H?

Andy M.

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings All! (Gee My first post!)

I have a stock 2000 Cherokee Classic, 4.0L-6, automatic, with just over 100,000 Km that I'm having a horrendous time keeping in four wheel drive. After engaging 4H and moving a couple hundred meters (sometimes as much as a few kilometres) it feels like it slips back out itself with the world's worst grinding sound - more like a real-rapid clicking sound really. Shifting into 2x or 4L seems normal but trying to shift back into 4H sounds like something very angry is trying to get out from under the hump! It's done this a couple times over the summer (I'm in fwd at least once every month) now it's every time I try to engage 4x4 (figures - now that we're starting to get snow regularly) I have taken it to the best local Jeep dealer; a testdrive, full service and $962.oo later they tell me there's nothing they can find wrong. I can't drive it this way with any kind of security, so I was wondering if there is any thing specific I could have a generic shop look at? When shifting into gear the lever feels "normal" although there's nothing to indicate that it's locked in place other then the dash light, is there a linkage adjustment somewhere that could be slipping or broken? This is my daily driver so it only sees highway and an ocasional loose surface road as opposed to real trails where there's any damaging stress on the fwd.

Thanks, Andy

Never mind... found the problem as soon as I had a chance to spend a few minutes under the jeep myself (when it wasn't freezing cold or snowing). One simple bolt and a few minutes to find it! yeash!

Back