• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L problems

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

I have a 1989 XJ with a 2.5L 4cyl.. During regular driving it has no problems, but when getting up to a higher speed the oil light comes on and I get valve knock, lack of oil I would assume. My question is: would I be correct in thinking that this motor has a clogged oil pump pick-up or could it be the pump itself? The motor has 150,000 miles on it and no sign of a low end knock (knock on wood). Any help would be great. Also I see that some people say that this engine has the same bolt pattern as the small block mopar engines, is this true? Thanks again,

Simon

I would drop the oil pan pronto and check the screen at least. You might consider changing the pump no matter what you find or at least be ready to change it. Some others on this forum run a heavier weight oil in their older xjs such as 10w40. Whatever you do don't run it until you have the oil problem worked out. Even a few seconds lack of oil can destroy your engine. :)

Considering the work involved to drop the pan, I would just replace the oil pump. While the pan is off also check the clearances on the rod bearings.

The bell housing pattern is the same as a small Chevy/GM V-6 (the 2.8/3.1/3.4 family), not the same as a Mopar.

Back