• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping bench for 2 seats

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... I'm looking for ideas/suggestions. I'm thinking about getting two front Honda seats (CRX or Civic). Now my additional requirement is that I can use them temporarily(for about a month in summer) to bolt up in a Dodge Durango as a third row, so they either have to be short back (don't like that too much) or have removeable headrest.

Any suggestions on seats? years? I know someone has made that swap out there, and I just can't remember who....

Ive heard rumors that front xj seats with removable headrests will fit. you just dont use any brackets......
i tell you what though. I got my eye on some really nice leather seats, and if i get them, i will test out the xj seats in the rear.

Last edited:
imma honky said:
Ive heard rumors that front xj seats with removable headrests will fit. you just dont use any brackets......
i tell you what though. I got my eye on some really nice leather seats, and if i get them, i will test out the xj seats in the rear.

Let me know how that works out for you as that'd be definately interesting... Also how far back are you thinking about mounting the seats? cause I don't want to mount mine too far back.... My plan is to give them about the same amount of leg room as was available before and the only difference is that for one they would have a head rest and also I would be able to build another console/storage box in the middle.

well.... cause... you must have missed what I said... the additional seating in the durango is needed for at most 1.5 months at most... and then it's no longer needed. After that, the two seats end up replacing my bench which is my primary interest in this....

Kejtar said:
well.... cause... you must have missed what I said... the additional seating in the durango is needed for at most 1.5 months at most... and then it's no longer needed. After that, the two seats end up replacing my bench which is my primary interest in this....

I didn't miss it, It's not safe to BS some back seat in a moving car just to save some money. Give your relatives what's right and safe not what is cheap for you.

hinkley

damn... that kills the idea of using 2 lawn chairs....

in regards to mounting them, don't you worry.... I did with my dad seats and bench in his van conversion and I know how to do things right....

So thanks for bringing up the issue of safety.... but at the moment I'm concerned with the size and fit, next will come the issue of mounting.

Not to piss in your Cheerios....but....remember you have to come up with a seat belt system also. That is the big difference between replacing existing seats and mounting new ones where none existed before. If you have thought of this I apologize, but if not, well.(I can't belive I am saying this) I agree with Mark...bad idea. not trying to bag your idea....really trying to help.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Not to piss in your Cheerios....but....remember you have to come up with a seat belt system also. That is the big difference between replacing existing seats and mounting new ones where none existed before. If you have thought of this I apologize, but if not, well.(I can't belive I am saying this) I agree with Mark...bad idea. not trying to bag your idea....really trying to help.

Rev

:D Thanks Rev, but that is one of the considirations. The Durango has the mounting spots for the full seat belt (not sure what it's called... I'm talking about the 3 point mounting one, not the lap belt) and all I have to do is mount one in the appropriate spots. Seat belts can be bought from couple different places, and I actually have one full set lying someplace in the workshop :D(the van conversion used to have 2 seats and no bench, no it has one seat and bench so one belt is freed up :D).
Now in rtegards to the jeep, I don't see why I can't reuse the existing seat belts (possibly with slight modifications, but the necessity of those will become apparent once the seats are going to be test fitted.....)

Yes. You should be able to use the existing belts in the Jeep, my concern was solely with the Dodge. Glad to hear you have it worked out.

Proceed, with caution.

Rev

Back