• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undercoating vs. Bedliner

Cheapjeep2

NAXJA Forum User
Like others, my carpet was molding and smelling really bad. I pulled the carpet out and to my surprise found very little surface rust. I won't be putting carpet back in. I know several people
that have used bedliner products to coat the floor. Could I use rubberized undercoating? I like the advantages of the rubberized undercoating but not sure if there are cons to it. Thoughts?
Thanks, Cheapjeep2

Inside? I don't recommend it. The undercoating will not set up as hard or as durable as bedliner. Undercoating is not intended to withstand traffic. It'll most likely abrade away fairly quickly, and on hot days I would expect it to be a gooey mess underfoot.

Amen to that!

That's all true - but the undercoating stuff is usaully pretty tough. It's about 1/4 the cost as well. You might be able to save some cash by using the undercoating everywhere except the high-traffic areas of the floor. I have never had a problem with undercoating becoming soft with heat.... not with the heat inside the car anyway (it's designed for relatively high temperatures so that exhaust heat doens't melt it off). BUT that said, ditto to what everyone else said, it will come off with lots of traffic - it is much softer than bedliner. It is also more difficult to layer as thick as the bedliner. But it's lighter and cheaper. <shrug>

Back