• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crappy hack n tap

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am pretty sure last night I completly grenaded my newly rebuit t-case tying to help someone else out :mad: this just doesnt seem to be the best month for me. Anyways what happend was I was trying to tug someone out of a really bad spot and twisted of my rear output shaft stupid hack n tap. After it happend it sounded like the chain inside was slipping over the gears just like about 6 months ago when I rebuilt it. So my question is when this happed is it more likey that is my t-case is going to need another rebuild or can I just replace the good old hack and tap with a real sye that replaces the output shaft? I wont be able to pull it out and check out the damage until next weekend.

Was it the Hack and tap set up that twisted your output shaft? Yes, you went the "economical route" with that set up, but it sounds like a lot of right foot with too much resistance to me. If it hit hard enough to stretch the t-case chain, I doubt a stronger output shaft would have helped.

Dan

Another reason for low gears. :D

Don't forget the H&T is just a stock shaft. You'll need to go Atlas II to make it strong!

Just keep the skinny pedal against the floor!

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Another reason for low gears. :D

Don't forget the H&T is just a stock shaft. You'll need to go Atlas II to make it strong!

Just keep the skinny pedal against the floor!

hinkley

thanks for the very helpful response :rolleyes:

LOL. Hinkley you made another friend. :)

I think we need another thread about how cool the hack & tap kits are. I'm not trying to throw salt in the wound, but people on here ask a question, get the answer they dont want cause it's more expensive, and rather than listen to the advice they asked for they take the cheap way out & break later. :wierd: Sucks to buy things twice, I should know it took me a long time to learn.

Good luck with it. Get a good SYE kit with a mainshaft & hopefully you can clean the case out & replace the broken bits and be back on the trail.

for about 3x the cost of an "HD" SYE, you can have a better case that you'll NEVER have to worry about.

chain driven, thin-walled cast aluminum cases SUCK

vintagespeed said:

I think we need another thread about how cool the hack & tap kits are. I'm not trying to throw salt in the wound, but people on here ask a question, get the answer they dont want cause it's more expensive, and rather than listen to the advice they asked for they take the cheap way out & break later. :wierd: Sucks to buy things twice, I should know it took me a long time to learn.

Good luck with it. Get a good SYE kit with a mainshaft & hopefully you can clean the case out & replace the broken bits and be back on the trail.

I wanted to get the HD AA sye but I didnt because at the time I wasent confident with taking apart the t-case but now after the rebuild I am very confident in installing it.

It sounds to me that the Hack & Tap wasnt really your problem. Remember that it is the stock shaft just a little shorter so it would have done the same thing if you never had the SYE anyways. The point is that a stronger shaft may have survived and it may not have. Look inside the T-case and see if anything else let go like the needle bearings or something that may have actually caused the shaft to bind in the first place.

I have the Hack and Tap and have been happy, maybe if I break the output shaft someday then I can get something else but for the majority of us it works great!!

Can you describe a bit more what do you mean by "twisted of my rear ouput shaft stupid hack n'tap" ? Do you mean that the hack'n tap fell off? or did it rotate on the splines?? If either is the case, then was it tightened down and did you use lock tite on the center bolt?

Now if none of the above has happened, and your tcase is making funky noises inside and behaves oddly, I'm not sure that the hack'n tap is to be blamed.... If anything I'd be expecting damage like breaking it off due to the hole inside potentially weakening the output shaft, and if/when that happens to me, I'll worry then about getting something stronger.... In regards to it's strenth, Farmer Matt is running one in his rig (that actually convinved me that I will probably be ok with one, as a temporary solution) and he is not being gentle about it either...

There's no lose of strength between the stock shaft and a H&T. Maximus is right. AZboy would have broken the shaft if he had a H&T or not.

Azxjman knows exactly what I was giving help about, GEARS! :D

hinkley

I have the Hack n tap.....

I plan on replacing it because I hate drivetrain failure...

But...

I have 36 swampers, 5 speed and 4.88 gears, It survived all the 4+ trails in moab in Oct.

When I first got the 36's, while racing a local retard on the street, I hit second gear with out letting up off the gas. It held long enough to spin the tires about one rev and then exploded the yoke off the rear axle.

Since then I have replaced the JUNK strap style yoke on the rear with a u bolt style.

Now, I can just hold it to the wood and bang second all day.
I been trying to blow up the Hack n tap and it will not go.

$20 says the crap stock 231 chain goes first!

vintagespeed said:

as it's been said before, I will say it again...if you can break the stock shaft then you should be running a beefier case then the 231....

Or maybe if AZXJ wasn't running stock gears with 35's, less throttle would have sufficed.....

Was it the Hack and tap set up that twisted your output shaft? Yes, you went the "economical route" with that set up, but it sounds like a lot of right foot with too much resistance to me. If it hit hard enough to stretch the t-case chain, I doubt a stronger output shaft would have helped.

The Hack and tap had nothing to do it, unless the shaft broke where you drilled the hole and tapped it. It was the heavy right foot, Ive pulled out semi's with my XJ and use the H&T with no problems, also the heavy duty units is still the same thickness around the gears and at the bearing points, where they usually break, there is a guy in Phx selling a perfect case on the AZVJC.org site or arizonaxj site, adn why would you reabuild one when youcn get a perfectly good used one for 150.00 to 200.00?

CheapXJ said:
for about 3x the cost of an "HD" SYE, you can have a better case that you'll NEVER have to worry about.

chain driven, thin-walled cast aluminum cases SUCK

or for LESS than the cost of a "HD" SYE you could have a better case that you'll NEVER have to worry about.

D300 and build a flip for $20

well, I know the solution, buy Blaine's landcruiser.......heh heh heh (That was blaine)

We all know the real solution though....JB weld!!!!!!!! Better make it JB quick though, I know you're far to impatient to let it fully harden.

Irocjt said:
well, I know the solution, buy Blaine's landcruiser.......heh heh heh (That was blaine)

We all know the real solution though....JB weld!!!!!!!! Better make it JB quick though, I know you're far to impatient to let it fully harden.

Hey screw you, you own a wrangler not a cherokee. And that JB never let go and I let it harden for 2 days when I did use it.

The reason I blame the hackntap is because the shaft twisted off right before the last set of bearing inside of the case which the HD kit would have replaced. When it happend I wasent being easy on the throttle but I have been harder on it I think it was just the straw that broke the camels back thing.

azxjman said:
The reason I blame the hackntap is because the shaft twisted off right before the last set of bearing inside of the case which the HD kit would have replaced.

When it happend I wasent being easy on the throttle but I have been harder on it I think it was just the straw that broke the camels back thing.

It is where the speedo gear goes is where the stock shafts break!

Sure! (on he second part) :D

hinkley

Back