• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? What to coat Rock Rails with ??

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of AJ's super rails and now I don't know what i should paint them with or if I should get them powdercoated. I am also considering first spraying them with rattle can bedliner and then spraying rustoleum over it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with rocker guard coating?

just paint them with some flat black paint so they will be easy to touch up.... also you might want to put herculiner on top of it as that will make it less slippery when you use it as a step to reach something from top.

I found the closest bright white gloss rustoleum I could and it matched my factory white paint. It matches perfectly and to the really untrained half blind eye, they look stock.

What ever you put on them will get scraped off, so use something that is easy for you to re-apply. Good quality paint is good.......

96XJCLASSIC said:
I just bought a set of AJ's super rails and now I don't know what i should paint them with or if I should get them powdercoated. I am also considering first spraying them with rattle can bedliner and then spraying rustoleum over it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with rocker guard coating?

Quote from AJ's: "A few words on finishing your rockrails, they are rockrails so the more expensivie of a finish you put on them means the more it's going to cost you in the long run to touch them up. Some people have used Herculiner which is some tought stuff but regular old spray paint works great too. They key to any coating is the prep work. Use some light automotive sandpaper, scotchbrite pad or wire wheel and scuff up the suraces, then use a good cleaner such as xylene, brake cleaner...to get all the dirt and grime off. Prime with a quality primer and then paint."
End of quote and end of longass run-on sentence.

When you ordered them, he sends an email/attachment with the above in it, along with the installation instructions.
HTH :pig:

I have Hurclined my rails and all the coating from the bottom and some of the sides has been scraped off by rocks and such. The Hurcliner is great for on top as a step surface but your better off (as in cheaper) to paint them with rattle can spray paint because as pretty much everybody said, you will scrap the paint off the rail on the first rock you touch. This only applies if you go offroad, the mall crusiers have nothing to fear since no speed bump will ever touch the rails:D

AARON

On both my front and rear bumpers I've used a few coats of Rustoleum primer, then coated with flat black Rustoleum and finally coated another two or three times with a textured black Rustoleum. It's help up very well, but costs a pretty penny compared to the other cheap rattle can stuff. Haven't painted my rock rails yet, but they'll get the same treatment.

Economos said:
On both my front and rear bumpers I've used a few coats of Rustoleum primer, then coated with flat black Rustoleum and finally coated another two or three times with a textured black Rustoleum. It's help up very well, but costs a pretty penny compared to the other cheap rattle can stuff. Haven't painted my rock rails yet, but they'll get the same treatment.

How do people feel about ol' Krylon? I'm currently re-painting me front bumper, so far I've got two coats of thier rusty metal primer on (wait 2-3 days between coats), to follow will be 2 or 3 coats of their semi flat black. I sanded it down from 100 grit to 400 grit then wiped with acetone 3 times.
Wondering if I should stop now, re-sand the bumper and start over with Rustoleum?

Chris

railroadjeep said:
How do people feel about ol' Krylon? I'm currently re-painting me front bumper, so far I've got two coats of thier rusty metal primer on (wait 2-3 days between coats), to follow will be 2 or 3 coats of their semi flat black. I sanded it down from 100 grit to 400 grit then wiped with acetone 3 times.
Wondering if I should stop now, re-sand the bumper and start over with Rustoleum?

Chris

I've always used Rustoleum so I really don't know how Krylon holds up. I'm sure it'll work just fine though.

I just painted my rock rails with rustoleum hard hat enamel. I usually do two coats primer / three coats color. This has held up well on my bumpers and roof rack.

Unfortuantly on the rock rails I'm having a sand-blasting problem. I've got an innner tube up against the rocker and an outer tube for side protection. These are connected by 1/4" plates in 4 locations. The forward facing surfaces of these plates end up bright and shiny after just a few hundred miles of gravel roads (usually one trip.) Is there a rattle can solution that will hold up better then the rustoleum to this kind of wear?

Thanks,

Matt

What if I could find a place that would give me a good price on spraying them with Rhino-liner or Line-X? Would that be worth it? Would it stand up to the abuse? Gonna make something happen tommorow. Really anxious to mount these babies up. NICK

ok... no... the rhino is good for the top but the exposed sides that you want to slide on/scratch use plain paint (any of the above mentioned) as they allow for the more of a slippage..... bedliner type stuff is harsh and once you catch it, you might peel more of it then you would have if you had paint only....

Back