• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gut the cat on a 97?

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
My catalytic converter has been replaced twice by the dealer and now it is rattling again. If they won't warranty it I want to gut it but iit has an O2 sensor in it . Will I get a check engine light and/or what do you all recommend.

By law you are not allowed to mod your cat, but I know how it sucks to have the damn thing rattling all the time, mine kept doing it. This is what I did, but it was only a temp solution, I removed my cat and took a 60 LB Jack hammer to the inside and cleaned it out nicely. The effects of this are that, it makes for a kinda funky hollow cat sound on your exhaust. The O2 sensor is an after cat sensor that has no effect on the way your engine runs. When I hollowed out mine on my 98 it took about 3 weeks for the check engine light to come on, when that happened all that I had to do was unplug the sensor for a couple of days until, the computer forgot about and would trip the code saying that the O2 sensor was unplugged, at that time I would plug it back in and the light would go off, I had to do that 2 time, and then it stayed off for almost a year. Although I can't recomend canning your cat because it is illegal, I can say that I live in MA which has an emissions test similar to california, and my Jeep passed with flying colors. The best solution would be to purchase and aftermarket cat and have the O2 sensor Bung installed so then you would be legal and not have the annoying rattling noise.

The emissions system is warranted for something like 8 years and 80,000 miles. Check the dealer first before breaking the law.

Eagle said:
The emissions system is warranted for something like 8 years and 80,000 miles. Check the dealer first before breaking the law.

good point, might want to check out that option could get another free cat.

gut the cat and run a pipe through it. This is against the law so I dont recommend you do it, just a suggestion :arrowr: ;)

I had the same prob with my '98 and have since replaced it some 50K miles ago with no probs to date. The rattle in mine was from the heatshield not the guts. So, gutting wouldn't have cured it.

why would you want to gut the cat on a vehicle that thrives on backpressure? Take it to the dealer and complain enough to get another free cat :eek:D

You may also want to figure out WHY you've rattled 2 cats now. Make sure that all of the hangers are on.

Back