• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Cam?

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i just blew a hole in the side of my engine. i have a block that im going to rebuild and swap in. i was thinking of going with a stroker, but for reliability issues, i might do a stock build up. i wanted to at least get a new cam tho. which one should i go with. ive heard for a stock engine, the crane 750501 is a good choice. ive also heard that the crane 753901 would be too much for a stock engine. what would you guys say would be a good choice. i plan to bore the block .060 over i guess. thanks in advance.

-chris

There's nothing wrong with the 753901 cam but I think it's a little too big to run on a plain vanilla 4.0 with a stock 8.8:1 CR. If you want as much low/medium rev torque as possible, you'll be very happy with the smaller 750501. The smaller cam will definitely produce more torque from 3000rpm and below so if that's where your engine spends the most time, the 750501 will make more sense.

i dont really know much about what cam specs mean, if someone has a link to a good explanation of what cam spec mean in general that would be great.
back to my question... would the 753901 be better if you were building a motor with more top end?
i'll start my own thread about my motor build up plans and questions, so i dont hijack this thread.

morenmoretoys said:
i dont really know much about what cam specs mean, if someone has a link to a good explanation of what cam spec mean in general that would be great.
back to my question... would the 753901 be better if you were building a motor with more top end?
i'll start my own thread about my motor build up plans and questions, so i dont hijack this thread.
I'm going to build high revving I-6 with CompCams 68-239-4.
People refer to this as "excessive" but that's how I drive... excessive!

A decent article on how to pick a cam:
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Type/General/CC_CC0101-001.asp

and...
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/

The race course

Back