• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHO MAKES SKINY 33" TALL TIRES (BFGOODRICH I KNOW)?

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to plow some snow this weekend, and my 12.5 wide tires sucked....
the other guy with smaller, skinier tires made it all the way up....
I had to turn around......
What about Swapmer LTB (34x10.5), anyone has an experience with those and 4.10 gears?
I need some skiny tires .......

BFG AT's are the best tire I have found for snow in my area (Pac. Northwest). The problem you had probably had more to do with the tread design than the width. Usually the wider the footprint the better the tire does in the snow. Did you air down??? If so what psi. That can make all the difference in the world.

it probly wasn't the tires!!! plus i would rather not look gay then get up a little snow hill!

stoney

A few years ago I had some 33x9.50 on my full size p-up. I believe they were from Cordovan and they were called Radial DTX. Had a real nice tread pattern and were great in the snow and quiet on the hiway. The price was right and had good wear. I would buy them again . I do believe there is a Cordovan website so you can check out tread patterns.

Bill

98XJ said:
What about Swapmer LTB (34x10.5), anyone has an experience with those and 4.10 gears?

With deep snow you need: Light weight!, Wide tires (14) with correct thread (Dikcepeks) air down to just about zero, Ultra low gearing (like dual Tcases).

I have seen some Toyotas set up this way and they go real slow they can pack as they go. The wide tires and light weight alow them to float on top of the freshest snow.

My dad has told me story's of back in Scranton, PA where the guys with the CJ's with skinny tires would just about go anywhere they wanted, even where the snowmobiles were.

What else does your friend have? I do know that a true 34" tire would not be any improvement with 4.10 gears. Also the only Swamper that I have seen is good for snow is the TRXUS.

HTH

98XJ said:

I had some 33x9.50s that I got from Les Schwab, but dood... they sucked in the snow. It could have been the crappy Les Schwab brand, but IMO the bigger footprint on the snow, the better. That's why it helps so much to air down.
Billy

Kelly MSRs are available in 33 x 9.50

Summit trailclimbers (made by Kelly) are also available in that size.

So are 2 of the Big O tires (one of them is made by kelly again .. shares same tread pattern as the summit trailclimbers).

And then of course .. you have your 235/85/16 tires. But since you didn't ask for new rims :laugh3:

Hope that helps

Joe

Was your buddy's truck lighter weight than yours? I air my 33"x12.5" Swampers down and it seams to help. With only 4" to 6 " of snow the tires dig down to terra firma to get the needed traction. Deep snow on the other hand, I'm all over the place, or can't continue on sometimes.

It would seam like you want narrow tires for mud, so they sink down and grab traction. Snow would be similar to sand, you would want a wider tire with more volume to get floatation.

Big XJ's with lifts, big tires and accesories are heavy, causing them to sink deep into heavy snow. If you have ever skied or snowboarded, you need a longer and wider ski/board to get floation in powder. On the other hand on groomed runs you want a shorter, narrower ski/board for better control on the hardpack snow.

Also, you ever notice how the ATV sand quads always run wide paddle tires on the dunes? HUMMM........

98XJ said:

Alright, there are 2 ways to deal with snow, tall and skinny and agressive will dig through any snow to the road/dirt beneath. A wide less aggresive tire will float on top of the snow, therefore the light weight 'yotas. It really depends on how much snow you have, if theres a good 10+" id vote on the flotation method but any less, go for digging down to the ground. Oh yea, ATs will do better in powder than a mudd terrain, they float better.

34x10.5 LTBs rocked in the snow, I ran them on my jeep 2 winters ago and liked them alot. I think they only run like $110 a piece too. As far as running pressure i had around 20 PSI in them at the time. HTH

Both axles have lockers (lock right - front, noSlip- rear) with about 12-15 psi in them when snow got almost foot deep, i was all done...front and rear just spun and I didnt move (exept sideways) - Friend of mine has an older XJ with 31 and rear locker. His tires are AT and half worn. He made it, barely, but made it...."There was a tire tread in the snow about half way covered with snow, but that didnt do any good for me...."
Next time I'll go, I will air down to 10 psi and see what happens...
Another thing after i installed hub conversion, front tires are 3/4" wider (each side) then rear which are out of the fenders a good inch or two...So 9.5 tires will help me bring them inside a bit....
Even though I like my Kumho's very much (dry-wet-rocks-mud) traction is outstandidng, I need to find a good replacement...Believe me or not, I got almost 40K miles on set of Kumhos and tread depth is between 10-11/32../and they are still very quite for MT type tires!!!!
:confused1

One thing I definitely learned about snow, go slow, do not alow the tires to spin. Keep you front wheel straight as possible. I was able to get myself out of situations that I found myself in after I was testing out my rev limiter. :D The only thing that stopped me last year was a slippery log, I don't have a front locker. :(

My MTR's worked really well, and I was at about 8 psi.

ChuckD said:
What else does your friend have? I do know that a true 34" tire would not be any improvement with 4.10 gears. Also the only Swamper that I have seen is good for snow is the TRXUS.

HTH

My TrXus were GREAT in the deep stuff, but the REDICULOUSLY expensive SSR's I have now are pretty damn impressive as well!

Back