• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 to 85 compatability??

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I have an 85 XJ with the Command Trac system. I found a 1986 with the Selec-Trac as a parts car.

This 86 has the same engine (2.8 V6). It is an automatic, mine is a manual.

I though about getting it to strip and have some parts just laying around as a "just in case" pile.

Will the majority of the parts be compatible? I am thinking of drive shafts, axle shafts, oil pan, diff covers...etc.

What about axles? What are the chances that this unit could have 4.11 gears in it?

For a couple hundred dollars to buy the truck, could I get a couple hundred dollars worth of parts off of it? I figure the 4 aluminum rims would be worth it alone.

Anyway...thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Most of the stuff will interchange...if the front axle still has the ID tag (on the cover, held in place with two of the bolts) it will list the tooth count for the ring and pinion...if it doesnt have a tag, pull the cover and count the teeth...divide the ring gear count by the pinion gear count...if you are going to scrap the donor...be sure to take all the electrical stuff...some parts are considered "obsolete" by Jeep, especially the dashboard electrics such as the heater/AC controls. All of the body parts will interchange as long as they both have the same number of doors..the engine and trans mounts can be used when doing a swap to a 3.4 if you have the need...the list is endless.

First off the tranny's and t/cases are diifernt styles. So I'm betting the driveshafts are different. The auto is shorter than the manual but the t/case I believe is longer. The auto DS I got is a little longer than the DS in my 5 speed. As for the gear ratio don't waist your time counting. If the tag is missing jsut spin the ring gear till you see the numbers stamped into it. The last few are the ring and pinion count! 4.10 will be something like 41-10 IIRC! As far as internal and electrical parts like Muddawg said they are all basically the same.

Back