• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Wheels

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
Getting ready to buy new wheels for my XJ ...

1. Anyone know if there's a difference in the backspace on Ecco's and Grizzly's ?

2. Is the backspace the same on these wheels for the Wrangler and Cherokee ?

I know they carry different PN's ... but I believe that's just to distinguish between the different color combos and model years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Grizzlies came on both the Cherokee and Wrangler. The Grizzly wheels are identical for both models with exception of optional colors.
I don't recall if Ecco's were ever available on the Wrangler.

Grizzly's came on the '96 XJ Classic, and then on Wrangler's from '97 to about '01. The first round came in an anthracite grey color, and then they were available in silver. The spokes are "rounded". The Ecco came on Cherokee's from '97-'01, then on Wrangler X and Sport around '01-'04. They came in silver, anthracite, sand, and now really dark grey on the Wrangler Columbia Ed. The spokes are "square". I don't believe that there is a back-spacing difference between them. They do keep most of the mud INSIDE the wheelwells though!!

this may or may not be relevant.. i just picked up a set of Canyon wheels from a TJ... they are 15x8's and i understand the Canyon's from an XJ would be 15x7's.... the TJ wheels have 1/2" deeper backspacing then what my stock steelies were.. i can't recall exactly what it was though.. i had "assumed" this would also be the case with the Grizzley and Ecco as well but only looked into the Canyon wheels cause thats what i got....
mike

Canyons were never offered on the XJ. They were offered on the ZJ. The TJ Canyons are 15x8, and the ZJ Canyons were 15x7. As far as I know, the Canyon is the only wheel design Jeep has offered in two sizes (widths).

Actually Canyons weren't offered on the ZJ. The ZJ had a very similiar Canyon looking wheel called the "Sport Cast Aluminum" 15x7 wheel. It was available on the ZJ from 96-98.

The 15x7 Sport wheels are on top and have 'triangled' shaped openings to them while the 15x8 Canyon's below have more a 'half hex' shape to them. The Canyon spokes are also noticeably wider at the outer lip.

xj_wheel_canyon_vs_sport_alum.jpg

i stand corrected.. that was info i got off this board actually... i get no interference problems with the wider wheels though...
mike

Thanks for the info and pics ....

I wasn't sure what the Canyon's looked like.

I have 31's on my stock wheels ... the original 5-spoke aluminum rims that came on my '91 Laredo ... and since they are getting weathered I was planning on replacing them with Grizzly's or Ecco's .. still somewhat undecided----I'm leaning toward the Ecco's.

I'm planning on running 32x11.5 BFG KO's soon ... and yes I know they will rub the LCA's---but I think this can be fixed at the steering stops. My thoughts were to pickup the newer model wheels and have my originals restored.

It looks like the clear coat has worn through and oxidation is setting in ... I don't want to have them bead blasted ... I just want to get rid of the oxidation and clear coat them again.

Any thoughts on the process required for reconditioning original aluminum wheels ?

Thanks.

If you want to get real tricky you can have your original rims bead blasted and powder coated. The price is usually reasonable; much less then new rims. The best part is you can have them powder coated in any color your heat desires. The silver ones I’ve seen look nice, but the black ones aren’t bad either. Or how about something to match the body color?

WC --

My Laredo is white with gray trim... the rims already have the gray color painted in between the spokes ... that part is okay ... I didn't really want to blast the gray paint off.

I was hoping maybe a light sand and polish on the aluminum, and then having them clearcoated, or maybe even clear powdercoated like you suggested.

I still need to buy new rims ... I just didn't want to buy the same thing I have now ... change is good when done in moderation.

Back