• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" rear

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
If a person were to put a 9" rear into there xj, would it be possible to go to say currie or strange and have them make an axle with 5 on 4.5 mounting. I am currently running a dana 35 and am thinking about a 9" for a replacement but dont want 5 on 4.5 in the front and 5 on 5.5 in the rear.
Thanx Digger

digger4u said:
If a person were to put a 9" rear into there xj, would it be possible to go to say currie or strange and have them make an axle with 5 on 4.5 mounting. I am currently running a dana 35 and am thinking about a 9" for a replacement but dont want 5 on 4.5 in the front and 5 on 5.5 in the rear.
Thanx Digger

I think currie will do it and I know that there are other companies out there that will do it too. You might have a problem with the "hub" part of the axle shaft though....I don't know that it will fit in the center of a 5x4.5 wheel. Just a thought...

You can actually fit 5 x 5.5" (whatever Ford is, cant remember) AND 5 x 4.5" patterns. You have to weld a plug in the large hole where you usually stick a socket through. Not sure if you can order them that way. I had a local machine shop redrill my stock axles. Moser had 31 spline alloys in custom lengths and bolt patterns for under $300 when I did mine. You'll have to get your drums redrilled as well unless you are going to discs.

I had the axles on my 9" Ford for the race car welded and redrilled years ago by Moser. Was pretty cheap too, if I remember right. Like $35.

-Mike

What kind of price am i looking at for these axles. Trying to figure best price idea. The 9" i can get fairly cheap, but what will i pay for axles and what ever else i will need. Verses a 44 or 8.25 for say 300.00.
Digger

leave it 5 on 5.5 and swap in the matching 44 HP front off an f150 or bronco, and keep the radius arms. I am happy with my setup now but if I were to do it all again.....

If you're set on the 9" and getting custom axles to match, think about getting custom D30 axles instead and staying with the larger bolt pattern. I don't know if there are factors that would prevent that or not, but something to consider. There are front axle upgrades available that match the 9" pattern that you could upgrade to in the future.

I got the entire axle assembly from Currie with the 5 on 4.5". Just took the tires off, unbolted the D35, bolted in the 9", put the tires back on. Done. :)

lesslimited92 said:
I got the entire axle assembly from Currie with the 5 on 4.5". Just took the tires off, unbolted the D35, bolted in the 9", put the tires back on. Done. :)
How much was that Less.

The 9"

Just to repeat, the 9". The 9" is basically a nasty nasty axle. In comparison, my friend is going to use a 9" in his 600hp 700lb-ft '72 Cutlass.

i,m a moser dealer, new axles would cost 295.00 and bearings will run 75.00. if you deside to do your own rear i would suggest to use fig ford housing ends,green bearings,a h.d. housing,daytona pinion support,solid crush sleeve.
axles can be made to ant bolt pattern, and any brake drum register. stud options are 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, or 5/8. i normaly charge $75.00 to shorten and re-house a 9", you supply parts. plus the above pricing is retail, i try to cut fellow jeepers a deal.

scot

Another option is to run split pattern. 4.5 front, 5.5 rear. make the spare a 5.5 and carry a wheel adapter so you can bolt it on the front.

That's what I'm planning. Need to cut disc brackets for it, and the rest is pretty simple. Planning on doing it Jan-Feb in my spare time.

Eventually I'll stick a 44 or 9/44 up front and match the bolt patterns up again.

Back