• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle/Diff upgrade advice

I have just recieved my RE3.5" lift & 31" MT's and will be installing berfore Xmas.
I'm running all stock NP242 D35 & D30 in a 95XJ.

I drive a little heavy on the go pedal and want to eventually upgrade my diff &/or axles to adequately handle the torque.

I will be gentle with the new gear on but is only a matter of time before I want to give her some herbs.

I do alot of sand, some mud, some rock.

One more thing, I intend on keeping the XJ for some time and can see upgrades to suit 35" M/T's in 12 to 18mths.

I want to begin planning my diff/axle upgrades now to suit running 35"s as these upgrades will be done before any others. I need to plan early as where I live it can be quite difficult to source gear.

Thanks!

start reading!

that's my best advice, there are literally dozens of people here running 35s and larger and upgraded axles and lower gears are definitely essential.

Just to get you started; it is possible to keep your D30 front with 35s, but you will want to get 760x joints and shafts if you don't already (i think you do with a 95 and the 242). The rear will definitely need to be addressed, there are two very popular and great swaps; a XJ or MJ D44 found under some late 80s models and the Ford 8.8 with 31 splines and discs found under Explorers (95-2000ish?). Both of these have the same bolt pattern as the D30. 4.88 gears is a must.

Lockers: get them! (with the upgraded axles) you can go anywhere from a $5 "lincoln" locker to $700 ARBs and about 4 steps in between. You really do get what you pay for, ARBs are sweet but expensive, and "lincoln" lockers are dirt cheap but wear tires fast and chirp on the street. The Aussie Locker looks like the best one in between for $200.

Tow points and skid plates: get them! eventually you will get stuck, so get solid towpoints front and rear. and steel is cheaper than transfer cases, gas tanks and rocker panels, so get skidplates and rockrails.

This is all just a very general overview, do some reading, do some searching and you will find tons more information about all these modifications.

Also, if it were me, I would keep that 3.5" lift (it'll probably end up being a little taller anyway) even when you go to 35s. It's all about fender trimming! keep your COG (center of gravity) low. check the recent thread about a guy fitting 36" TSLs (which are more like a 37) with only 3 or 4 inches of lift. Also by keeping it lower you won't have to deal with many problems that people face with driveline, steering and control arm angles.

Back