• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexan for the rear side windows.

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty for the next mod in project "Scrat" I am raising the gas tank into the cargo area. After to talking to a few people including Ashman I decided to run the filler tube out where the rear side window is so I am gonna replace both with lexan and cut a hole in the drivers side and bolt in the filler tube. So has anyone done this? I was thinking crok had lexan in the rear window area but not sure. Should I bolt it in or rivit I am thinking just silicon and bolt the window in place. DIG IT!

My rears are plexi-glass. Lexan would be better but was like $20 more!!!! No way I was spending that kinda money :dunce: Actually I din't like the tint options available in Lexan at the place I got it so I went with regular old plexi.

I used adhesive backed weather stripping on the metal window seam once the rubber seal was removed. Then I simply drilled through everything and secured it all with a steel washer and rubber washer against the plastic.

The plexi doesn't really like the point loads at the washers and you be better to make a complete window frame out of 1/8" flat stock that borders the whole perimter to help spread the load out.

Plexiglass, grows and shrinks quite a bit with the temp., not to mention becomeing brittle in the cold. Stressing it usually causes cracks. Better to figure in expansion and stress when installing it. Drill the holes a little bigger than necessary, use soft washers (plastic or rubber) loc-tite the screws in and don´t overtighten. A bead of silicon (some types etch the plexiglass) loosely tighten, so the bead doesn´t crush much.
polishing the edges and holes a bit, helps reduce cracks. I´ve had poor results with pop- rivets, even aluiminum rivets.
An extra, small cross brace or two on large sheets, helps reduce vibration wiggle and stress failure.
Plexiglass, will fail tech. inspection at some races.

We have built drivetrain guards for diffrent projects at school and always have used poprivets on lexan. Works fine. Dipping the rivets in epoxy before you fasten them will help seal and keep them from loosing up.

Mine are lexan and I used the rubber gasket.

the one's I replaced so far with Lexan are copies of the original with the stock rubber gasket reused. I have never tried to replace the rear windows (almost had to last week!) but I would assume they would be the same.

Back